Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help, can anyone point me in the right direction. I am a single mom and trying to go to school. I need to leave the area that I am in and move but need a job. I would pefer to find a job that I can work at home. Nothing selling, I've tried all that and do not do well at all. I need to make at least 1500 a month. Any idea that you ladies can help me with? Im desperate at this point.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (14)
  • The only thing I can think of that will make you that much per month and still allow you to be at home is doing home daycare. But you have to be licensed in order to take in enough kids to make that much. There are many regulations also that go along with being licensed, and it definitely means you have to have a LOT of patience with many children, and you have to live a lifestyle that will let you be a home care provider (no drugs, no smoking inside the home, have your home child-proofed to their standards, have adequate educational and outdoor toys for the children, have adequate space where you live). It's just something you might want to look into wherever you end up.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2009


    Good luck! I rather do my business than have a job but that is me. I love what I do. I don't really sell just educate people.

    Answer by businesswife1 at 2:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • My neighbor drives a special ed bus, and they let her take her baby with her. She drives kids for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. She gets $10.00 an hour and works 4 hours a day. You have a choice to work summer or not. Some people get unemployment in summer, others ask to work driving kids to summer camp/summer school. She said the baby sleeps in the small bus while she is driving around and he enjoys it. You do not need a special liscence because it is not a huge bus. You need to pass a child abuse clearance first. Good Luck!!! Also
    I sell my babys old clothes for to the local consignment shop for extra money. They take your toys, furniture, baby stuff (your not using anymore) and split the money with you. You do not sell it - they do it for you. Check in the phone book/internet for local companies near you. Good luck!!!!

    Answer by pamom222 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I have a list of WAH Jobs on my site...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • You'll find tons of ideas around here! Most of the companies you'll find here are some type of direct sales. I tried that and decided it just wasn't for me. So I do some different things. You can read all about the companies I work for at Work At Home. Everything I list is free!


    Answer by customcat2000 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • You would need training but possibly your States local Employment Dept. might be willing to pay for the school. Medical transcriptionist work from home. I know of a woman who is making 60K a year, and others who are making plenty. Just an idea, and more long range.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • You can check out my blog and there you will find some great ideas on wah. I hope that helps.

    Answer by mepperly07 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I would like to do something like bookkeeping, or billing. I've been doing billing and insurance verificaiton at a hospital for a couple of years now. Any ideas? What about virtual assistant, does anyone know much about that? Thank you

    Answer by Mandie183 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • I work from home with The MOM Team.  You could easily make $1500 and more a month.  Visit my website at to request more information.


    Answer by txrangersgirl at 3:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • My best advice to you is to go get child support. It takes one day in court usually and 10 mins. to fill out the paper work. Then you can also work at home, or somewhere and not have all the bills and stress on you alone. He doesnt have to visit the child or be involved if he doesnt want to, but your making a huge mistake if you do not go after him for child support- it is his responsibility also. You did not make that child yourself. If you can not find a good paying job at home, there are Daycares that you can work at and take the child with you to work, so you can see him during the day. I used to work at one, alot of Moms worked there and took their kids to work with them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.