How often does your SO/DH put his foot in his mouth?

So yeah, I am not the best cook. I know it, DH knows it. There are only a few things I am good at. I've been tired lately being huge pregnant, so I wanted to surprise DH. I got a recipe for a roast. I was proud of myself, and my 6 year old even liked it. DH came home & ate, but didn't comment on it. I asked him how it was and he said it was good but didn't know why I needed a recipe. I told him that I needed a recipe because I had no idea what it took to make the gravy and all that...he says, "well that part was bad. The meat was the only good part of it." I almost cried. Goodness, how about saying, "next time could you leave out the carrots" since he didn't like them. He said he wasn't going to lie to me, but dang, he didn't have to be hateful just to be honest. How often does your SO say something that could have came out better?

kbates1208

Asked by kbates1208 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG i made meat loaf the other night because my SO has been talking about how he wanted it. So he ate a very good portion of it...then I asked if it was good. He said "Almost as good as my mom's" That is his answer for everything. Sometimes I think his mom is like the perfect woman, how can I compete?? LOL.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Aw I have had similar situations, but especially when I was pregnant I probably would have bawled.lol.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yeah, this is just NOT the time to insult my first attempt at cooking something! I told him that there is nothing wrong with being honest, but its not cool to be so mean about it!
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My hubby isn't too bad with all that, but he makes fun of me alllllllll the time. Once in awhile it gets to me, but most of the time he makes me laugh. We've only been married for 11 months though, so he has plenty of time to say stupid things.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• OH yeah, after a few years, you'll be ready to peg him the head with whatever is close. LOL. We've been married for over 10 years and he has yet to learn the appropriate way to offer constructive criticism.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i had to teach myself to cook so when we first got married i could make baked chicken breast, and did not think to make them any different ever. just season and throw in oven. so about 3 nights a week we had chicken. he would come home from work with a bag from mc'd's and say ya well i just didn't want "THAT" again. i thought he meant i couldn't cook turns out he meant no more chicken (i love chicken so it didnt bug me)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I am so glad my DF likes my cooking, because I LOVE to cook, seriously the food network channel is on almost all day in my house, If he ever said I did bad I think I would be very hurt, because thats one thing I take alot of pride in. Now as far as him saying other stupid things well, lets just say I can count how often he doesnt on one hand lol, really he doesnt mean any harm by it still though I just wished he would think before he speaks
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Exactly! I believe the "thinking before you speak" brain cells have evaporated. I was hurt because I took the time to try something new and it was my first attempt. I didn't expect it to be perfect. It also hurt my feelings because he knows he can go in the kitchen and cook anything and it'll be great. Me, not so much. I have to work at it.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2009