Elimination Communication...

I used cloth diapers with my daughter. I'm pregnant and due in June. I really want to give elimination communication a try with the next baby, but I have some questions about it.

When you go out in public what is a typical outing like (what kind of things do you need to bring with you on a typical outing)? Do you put towels down in the carseat just in case? Do they make special underwear for babies, or do you just use a prefold without the diaper cover?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I love doing EC with my almost 7 month old! I have done it since 3 mos, I was mentored by a friend who did it since her daughters birth and I am now mentoring a friend who has started at 1 month. The first rule is be cool, in other words relaxed about misses. Also, don't worry if you diaper sometimes. Everyone has a ratio that they are happy with.

I bring a couple of trainers and some wipes- that's it! I let my daughter pee outdoors if it seems suitable or I go to the public restroom hanicapped stall. towels? no? If it is a really long trip I put her in a diaper but otherwise she is usually just fine. Yes, they make special "trainers" ECwear.com is a good source so is continuum-family.com. But you can also just use the underwear that they sell for toddlers or under baby dresses. You can use a prefold w/o diaper but I never have. Check out diaperfreebaby.org.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have no idea how you could manage to take a baby out without a diaper on them. I cant take mine out with one on!! She always poops through them and her clothes! I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor.

If I did try this, I would only do it at home, where I could control the environment, and when I took them out I would use a diaper. It wouldnt really be respectful to others to let your child get their excrements on other's stuff or on public things. I am a normally excepting person of things that are not in the "norm" but I would probably say something to you if you let your child pee on the floor at McD's or the store because you brought them there without a diaper and they werent potty trained.

HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009