How to make an altar

I've been wanting to do this for a long time but I always feel that I would make one wrong or I dunno.. "weak/tainted" if that's possible.
What did you make your altar out of and what objects do you use?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• just use things you love, anything that makes you 'you' will not be tainted
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Don't be afraid to do it wrong. There are guidelines to use, if you want, but it will be just fine if you do it however YOU see fit.

Here is one of the sites I used to set up my altar: http://www.ladybridget.com/w/waltar.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I use candles, a focal point (my goddess statuette), a small burning bowl, and my gemstones that I believe represent me. There are many things you can use but stay true to what you believe reflects you. There is no "perfect" altar.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I use old end table and lay out the items on it. I would love to find a flat stone for mine.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Pwnmom, I think if you are able to find a quarry near you, you might be able to locate some flat stone. Either that or check around in river banks near you. I've been looking around myself and have found a few promising stone but nothing solid as of yet.

You can also check online and see if there are any within a fair pricerange. If you want, I can grab a few of the links I use to obtain materials that I cannot find around where I live and see if that might help.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• BTW, for those who have herbs, how do you store them? I find jars to put them in and now my poor bookshelf is COVERED!
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I use my end table.
    I have decorative cloths, several candles, an offering bowl, a chalice, an athame (knife/dagger), a wand, a representation of the goddess, a scrying mirror, a glass well (water well) figurine that I like to call "The Well of My Desires," stones, incense/holder...and various other things depending on the season/ritual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have my herbs stored in the drawer of the end table that I use as my altar, lol. Handy thing, that drawer :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Merry meet! I felt the same way for a while. I finally set mine up shortly before doing my dedication ritual. I first made holy water/salt water to cleanse everything with and I also smudged everything with sage while saying something like, "I consecrate this item to be used on my alter, first with earth, then with water. I consecrate this item to be used on my alter, next with fire, then with air." And I wiped everything down with the holy water and smudged with sage (I also did this for my circle area). My alter was this table top from a table we got at WalMart a couple of years ago. It's black, wooden, and comes apart so you can use it as a table, tray, alter in my case lol, or a magazine rack (if you remove the top and turn it on it's side) which is what it will be used for now. On my alter I had: alter candle (white), Goddess candle on the back left, God candle on the back right, water bowl, salt in a big sea shell,
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• (continued) chalice for wine (since it was my dedication), wooden pentagram (my hubby made it with a disc of wood and a woodburner and he wrote "Blessed Be" on the back), a libation bowl, and incense.In the circle I also had my dedication written out so I could glance at it to get started and I had some little mini toast things. Have fun with it mama! Don't stress so much! Blessed be. Message me sometime if you want to talk about any of this. I'm still learning, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009