My niece is Autistic and she's 24 years old,why does she laugh for no apparent reason and because she can't talk she has tantrums that I can't control,the neigh bors called the police and I had to laugh about it,explain to me if anybody can what she's feeling that we're not?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 1:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I hate those business cards! I find them tacky! I have TWO children with Autism, and I would NEVER make someone "feel bad" by handing them a "autism card" after they give me the "evil eye!" People that are THAT judgmental don't DESERVE an explanation from me!

OP--Your niece cannot control her laughter...it's a self-stimulating (stim) behavior. Some autistics flap their hands, rock, or clap hands for no apparent reason. The movement is the way she either calms or expresses her feelings.

PECS or Picture Exchange Communication System are little cards that depict person, places, things, that the autistic person "exchanges" with their caregiver to communicate their wants and needs. Can also be used to teach life skills...like dressing, grooming, hygiene, following directions, establishing routines, etc. Helps to teach while lessening anxiety when they are not sure what to expect/what comes next.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It her world we are living in in i think your neighbor is dum and you should knock on her and have a chat with her .what brat that neighbor seriously id be pissed off
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• She's probably having the same thoughts and feelings that you or I do, she just has no way to express them. Imagine how awful it would be to be hurt or need something yet have no way to tell anyone--I'm sure I would have tantrums too. Has anyone ever tried to teach her sign language or PECS?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have been looking up autism quite a bit because we may have a diagnosis coming soon. Did you know you can buy/make "business cards" to hand out to people, so you don't even have to say anything but they get that she has autism? I'm sorry that happened to you, if it was me I would make sure the police "red-flag" your number to know you have an autistic person at your house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009