Can Anyone Help give advice about autism

I have a 5 yr old that has been diagnosed with autism. I just need someone who can relate to autism and knows more about it that can help me to better understand it and so that I will be more able to understand and help my 5 yr old

Hubbard1234

Asked by Hubbard1234 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has autism...do you have any questions in particular? There are LOTS of autism groups on CM you could join that might help you out.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Get really dum? WTF?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• What part of the autism spectrum? Mine has Asperger's, whch means he's very high functioning. For the most part completely normal except fro difficulties with anger control and socialization.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "Get really dum"?? You're joking, right? Man, I hope so.

My son is seeing a psychologist who is considering diagnosing him with PDD-NOS. Where is your 5 year old on the spectrum?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would suggest joining one of the many groups on CM for Moms of autistic children.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 3:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Both of my boys (7 & 5) have high functioning autism (Asperger's). They were diagnosed before age 3 years. We've never medicated them, just have LOTS of patience, and inundate them with conventional therapies--speech, OT, etc. We're now doing Relationship Difference Intervention (RDI) Therapy. Google "Dr. Steven Gutstein" for more info!

Have your son's school evaluate him for an IEP (Individualized Education Plan), to identify your child's weaknesses, and get him specialized instruction.

Join any of the Autism groups in your state--might even already be on cafemom!

Google activities for autistic children in your area. I'm in PA, and my children play soccer (T.O.P.S), horseback ride (Equi-Librium), older one is on a swim team at our local Y, go to a FREE summer day camp (Sarah Smile through KidsPeace), and older one participates in Tiger Scouts, and all are geared for children with autism.

continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Understand that YOU didn't "cause" autism! It is NOT due to vaccinations or the environment. It is a genetic disability, that occurs in brain development. Depending on WHERE in the brain the damage or underdevelopment occurred, will determine the severity of the autism.

Understand that research has brought about incredible advances in understanding autism--so much so, that what I learned as little as 5 years ago, is now obsolete! Stay current, don't be afraid to ask questions, join a support group that YOU agree with--there are some "radical" groups out there, so if you don't believe in their "mission statement" find another group!

Tread carefully and learn how to "read" your son. Keeping a simple journal may help you to identify triggers and times of day when meltdowns and increased frustration seem to happen. It helps to try and prepare for those moments, so you are not caught off guard!

Hang in there!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• HI MOM, JUST LOVE YOUR LITTLE ONE NO MATTER WHAT, GET HOOK UP WITH SOME MOMS ON CAFE MOMS,THEY ARE GREAT,AND CAN BE VERY HELPFULL,THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THER THAT CAN HELP,JUST KEEP DIGGEN YOU WILL GET THERE. KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH................................ GOOD LUCK MY SON HAS DOWN SYNDROME,AND WE NEED EACH OTHER.GO FOR IT. SIS213.
    SIS213

Answer by SIS213 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009