How can I conceive if I am still breastfeeding and have not had my period?

I have been breastfeeding my 11 and a half year old since her birth... I also nurse frequently during the day and 1x during the night. I really want to get pregnant again since I am 38 yrs old. Is there a way to figure out when I am ovulating if I do not get my period?

MommyMichelleL

Asked by MommyMichelleL at 2:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• 11 1/2 year old? Are you kdding?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm hoping you mean months and not years.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old son and was wondering the same thing, but I just found out I am pregnant. I havent had a period in two years. I was on birth control, but got off in february. I just watched for that stretchy egg like dischage and had sex around there. I did have a little spot of blood one day but I dont know for sure if it was spotting or implantaion bleeding. I find out how far I am on wednesday. But we just had sex regularly and I stayed laying down for fifteen or so minutes afterward. I havent tryed the ovulation trackers, but my sister has and she says they work well, I think you can get them anywhere next to PT at the store. Anyways, Good Luck.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• umm did you mean 11 month old?? please for christs sake i hope so. For your almost middle schooler's sake I hope so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• maybe you are not getting your period because you are post menopausal.....38?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• pre *** is what i meant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• MY FRIEND WAS BREASTFEEDING AND THOUGHT THAT SHE COULDN'T GET PREGNANT SINCE YOU DON'T HAVE A PERIOD BUT IT HAPPENED SO I GUESS YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY, STAY POSITIVE AND MAYBE GET A FERTILITY TEST?
    mommie2hailey89

Answer by mommie2hailey89 at 5:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You can buy those ovulation test kits to see if you are even ovulating
    Brandie_xo

Answer by Brandie_xo at 7:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well you can take ovulation tests and use the fertility awareness method where you chart basal temp and check cervical mucous and position to determine when you ovulate. You will ovulate about 2 weeks before your first period so you CAN get pregnant without a period. I myself got AF back about 13 months with my first and only had 2 periods before getting pregnant again. I wouldn't worry about being postmenopasal yet since it is VERY NORMAL to not have AF while nursing until up to 15-16 monthhs old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Buy an OPK, you can get one at the dollar store funny as it sounds they work jsut as well.. also you can chart.. if that fails go ask your doc.. BFing can delay your period but not thta long.. maybe it is premenopause.. anyways good luck
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2009