my 5 month old has mouth ulcers ! what can i do to help her?

Gran1954

Asked by Gran1954 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you talking about thrush? If she has thrush she needs to see a dr and get a prescription for it. It's very painful for babies and she needs medical attention. I know years ago one of mine had it and they give you this purple liquid you rub in the mouth and it will stain everyting it touches.
    I'd call your peds immediately. I know she's uncomfortable.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My little brother used to get like "ulcers" in his mouth and my mom always called it "hand foot mouth disease"? Now that I am grown up, I really have no idea what she was talking about. Maybe try keeping his hands and feet out of his mouth? I know that advice is probably not helpful at all because I know it would be a loss cause to try to keep my little girls hands out of her mouth.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 2:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my daughter had that a couple of months ago. lasted about 9 days. they called it the hand/foot disease, but she only had the ulcers in her mouth. i dont remember the dr giving me anything. i know it was hard for my girl to eat, and it was so sad cause shed cry and cry, but it hurt her to eat. i gave her juice, sometimes ice cream. i figured something cold would feel ok on it when she ate it. or cold jello.
    i didnt really understand why kids get it, from my understanding it was cause unsanitary cleaniness...or un cooked food. the doctor told me it could be anything, she had a list.
    you should bring her to her doctor. thats the best thing you can do. they will help you out more than we can. good luck. dont worry, it will get better/
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• oh!! and its VERY contagious! if you have other kids around, make sure they dont come in contact with your childs saliva. cause it could pass on to them as well. even you.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2009