how do you get a 4 year old boy to sleep in his own bed with out having to lay with him till he falls asleep?

getting kids to sleep on there own

poudmamaof3

Asked by poudmamaof3 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 4 year old little boy... sometimes its a total exhausting hour or so of fighting. Ive found him climbing in his closet trying to get his power ranger costume, also came in to check on him and hes in a spiderman costume. So I took all the stinkin costumes out of his room. And at that said if you even think of getting out of this bed the night lights gone. He of course tested the limits. I had to stick to my guns. He freaked out, and the next night he was an angel. Now its easy. Im making him be more independent. Its hard at first, but it certainly got much easier. Good luck! Little boys are a blessing!! and crazy!!! :)
    BraidensMommy01

Answer by BraidensMommy01 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Try to give him one of your t-shirts. It might just be your smell.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 2:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• What I would suggest for you to do is take him to his bed and explain to him that its bed time, lay him down, kisses and hugs, and tell him not to get out of his bed or there will consiquences. (cant spell sry). If he gets up repeat the same process over and over eventually he will get tired and pass out. It may take a few days and hours a night but once he gets used to it it will get better. Try giving him a favorit stuffed animal or toy not to play with but to go to bed with. maybe try a night light. What ever you do dont let him back in your bed once you begin this because he may get confused why he can sometimes sleep with you he may thing hes only getting out into his bed for punnishment when he didnt do anything wrong. Also try the library for "sleeping on your own books or movie's" that he may like with a favorite actor/cartoon character. GZood luck n I hope it helps!
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 2:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i told my daughter she has to stay in her bed until the sun comes up. if she wakes up before then she needs to lay back down and close her eyes. a few nights a month she might wake at 3 or 4 in the morning asking for a cup of milk or b/c she had a nightmare. but otherwise it has worked for her
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 4 yr old DD. Once I put her in a toddler bed, she refused to stay in there unless I laid down with her. I hate it but I have not been able to find a way to break her of this. Some people have told me that she will outgrow it....I am hoping it's soon! Ugh!
    Momof3cuties

Answer by Momof3cuties at 8:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Put the preschooler in bed, say "good night", give hugs and kisses then leave the room. He's a preschooler, not a baby. It's a habit and you have to break it. (if that's what you want) They are not going to outgrow it any time soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Did you ever watch supernanny...the stay in bed tecknique works.........Thank the lord all 3 of my kids never had tooo many problems..with sleeping...my son the most...i just try to give him a routine....read...hug and kiss...prayers...and bed........NO lagging behind...they will think they can do it all the time.
    dottief13

Answer by dottief13 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would sing lullabies to my son. He would ask for the same song over and over till he fell asleep. If it's soothing to him then do it. Might take awhile but mine is 7 and still wants to be tucked in, songs or a book, prayers and then lights out.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We have a 4 year old and now once he stops talking after we leave his bedroom he is fast asleep. We used a sticker reward chart to encourage him to sleep on his own. If he went to sleep like a big boy and didn't play or talk to much he would get a reward sticker in the morning.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Less is more, IMO.... Start a story at night, let him pick it, read, tuck him in, keep a set routine.. It might take a few nights but be consistent! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009