how can i let my baby's dad see her, if my parents wont let me?

okay, so i want my babygirl to know her dad, but im only 15, and so is he, and my parents arent letting that happen. they dont trust his maturity level, and they think he will be irresponsible with her. i dont know what to do, because he has done nothing but tried to be apart of his daughters life. and it makes me very sad. /:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• you are still her mother, they can't make decisions for her you can. as for his maturity level, you are "only" 15 as well and made the same choices he made. approach them as an adult and parent, say look i know you don't trust him b/c of the situation we got ourselves into, but it wasn't all him i was involved in that too. however, we have to get past that and do whats best for my daughter. in this case, it is best for her to spend time with her father. offer to either have him come to the house so your parents can be around for the begining of him getting to know her, or that his parents will be around to teach him how to take care of a baby. but try to find a compromise. shes your daughter not theirs, they can't prevent him from seeing her, and if he has to i'm sure he could take you to court to ask for partial custody (check your states laws on being a minor parent) if this is the law then explain that to them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Do you have custody or do they? If they do, then there may not be much you can do. If you do, then it is your decision. Take her to the park and have him meet you there. Or go to a public place near your house so you can walk if you don't have someone that can drive you. What if you talk to your parents about them supervising the visits he has with her? That way they can still have an eye on her, but they get to still be involved with each other.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• This is your baby, no matter how old you. When you become the parent, you make the choices about your child and about yourself. I would tell them that and if they still say no, do it anyway. Don't let him in your house, meet him somewhere. Or have his parents pick you up and take ya'll to your house. And as far as him not being responsible, well neither one of you are since your 15 and have a baby, but he can learn how to take care of a baby, just as you will have too. Maybe both of you should take a parenting class, at your school or somewhere else. I took one my senior year and it helped me alot even though I already had my son.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• well the thing about him coming to my house is that him and my parents dont get along. our families hate eachother, because my parents dont let me bring lily over there. i have total custody of her. but one time that i had her over at his house, i was there with her, and my parents were coming to pick me up. and when i said i was going to let her stay overnight with him, they threatened to call the cops and have tried to kick me out. i will do anything so that she knows her father. it hurts too bad not knowing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• They can call the cops all they want, you are her parents, not them, and her father has more rights than they do to her. Grandparents have little say in a childs life unless they can prove a parent unfit. If they kick you out they can be charged with neglect because you are a minor. Do they want to go to jail over this? I think not. You need to get someone else involved you are still a minor yourself. His parents need to call family court and help their son petition for visitation rights. Its about the baby not who made what mistake too young, that part is too late to blame anyone, and its not about who hates who, its about Lily.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 5:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If you are no longer in a relationship with him, then it is his responsibility to pursue his rights. It is not your job. There must be underlying reasons that your parents are cautious about. You both are very young, and your parents are extending your relationship with them to your daughter. It's like she is "theirs" too. Your boyfriend needs to step up to the plate, which is so hard to do at his age. He probably can't even drive! At this time, you need to focus on your baby and your education and let the boyfriend do what he needs to to build a relationship with the baby.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 8:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• They can't call the cops, and they can't kick you out either. Tell them she's your child and you make all the decisions in her life.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009