Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I was wondering if I am able to move out of state with my 21 month old dd?
The father hasnt seen her in 8 months and doesnt pay child support but we never went to court for custody over her.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • as long as theres no court order, of course!! i wish i woulda done that before i went after my ex for child support

    Answer by alexis_06 at 3:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • With no court order he can't stop you, he hasn't seen her in almost a year so I doubt he cares.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I don't see why not! You're the custodial parent because she lives with you, so go ahead and move!

    Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I would double check the laws before you move, just as a precaution.

    Answer by bethany_smith at 9:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • Pack your bags! If you don't get support and he has not seen her and there are no custody orders in place then you are free to go. Having said that, I would advise you to get a lawyer and go through the courts to get some legal document in place so he does not just decide one day to pull his head out of his ass and cause trouble for you. There are abondonment laws...look into them for your state.

    Answer by salexander at 10:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I think that without a court order you are free to do what you want. You are the custodial parent. Check with an attorney first, just to cover your butt. My custody papers say that I have to inform my ex 60 days before moving by certified mail. It doesn't even matter that he has had NO contact with us for over 6 years.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.