Should I join PAT?

My sister works for the school dist. she told me I should join Parents As Teachers. What is it for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We've been members. I love it! They've been very helpful and the playgroups are great!!

Check it out in your area! It's worth it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• oh yeah.. Ive heard of that. Its a major nation wide program. I think is to help parents learn how to be better parents in a way. So parents will try to teach their children their abc's and numbers and stuff. They probably figure that if they can get you into the habit of doing it now what yo will do it later too.
    http://www.parentsasteachers.org/site/pp.asp?c=ekIRLcMZJxE&b=272094
    here is a link of the history of the program.. it was started in my home state apparently!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 6:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The PAT program is for ages 0-5yrs. They do monthly visits to give you info on your childs development and ideas on how to help your child prepare for school. If there are problem areas then they help you work with your child. They will bring a game, toy, or activity to do with your child. It's an hour visit... I did it with my youngest but didn't with my 2 youngest... I felt that if they would have had problems I would have but they were fine and I taught them what they needed to know for kindergarten. (abc,s, writing their name,colors, numbers up to 100, shapes,etc) If you feel you want to get in the loop with your school district, and see where your childs development is it's a good resource to have.. Some school districts have a free preschool program if your child is weak in a certain area...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• This sounds AWESOME!!!
    I did all these things myself with each of my children and they were well-prepared for kindergarten and first grade. In fact, they excelled before other children in reading and writing.
    Even if this program is not offered to any parents in their district, you can still purchase age-appropriate learning workbooks, downloads and print activities from online, and go to the teacher/homeschool supply stores! Teaching your children is SO MUCH fun and a parent's heart swells as they watch their child learn!!!
    I encourage all parents to be involved with teaching their children - even older children in school - summers are prime time for teaching them something new - just make it fun and interesting!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2009