how to cure eating out of boredom?

i usually just eat when im bored, and in result i am gaining weight. i try to cure the boredom with playing outside with my son but when it's not so nice outside and my son is doing his own thing i get bored, and therefore i eat. what should i do?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• do a hundred crunches. then chug a big glass of water. that will make you feel super full and tired ha ha i like to eat when my guy goes to bed. like easter candy tonight... hehehe but then I stopped myself did the situps until I just couldnt then made myself get up and chug water. wala. its a cure all! good luck!
    BraidensMommy01

Answer by BraidensMommy01 at 3:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I used to eat when bored too and unfortunately gained a lot of weight. The way I stopped it was to not have easily accessible snack foods in the house like chips or cookies, so if I got hungry (out of boredom) I would actually have to put together a sandwich, which helps you think twice about what you're doing. Also, drinks LOTS of water. If you don't like water, then flavor it with crystal light or something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I try to keep foods that aren't good for the body out of the house. If the food isn't good for me, then it isn't good for my child either, like soda's, chips, cookies, pastries, etc. That helps alot.

Also, when you find yourself just sitting, (thats when you prob. get bored), think of something to get up and move. Watch skinny people, they are always moving, up and around and around again. They move constantly. They burn calories. When you turn on the tv, make it a commitment, never to just sit and watch, but stand behind the couch and do a planned exer. routine. You can get plenty of great moves from Prevention online. I lost over 30 lbs doing this.

Also, when you feel the urge to snack, drink a full glass of water. Put a slice of lemon or fresh ginger in to make it interesting. And if you need the sweetness, a touch of splenda.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have used a pedometer to keep me motivated as well. Make it a goal to get 10,000 steps in a day. Put it on when you get out of bed, first thing. Stretch all of your large muscle groups when you get up, and open the blinds to let all the sunlight in, possible. That wakes the brain, and warms the muscles to make you feel more like moving. Put on comfy gym clothes and tennis shoes which will make you feel in the mood for moving more. :)

Dance around the kitchen while you cook the kids a good healthy, not sweet sugary breakfast, and dash around the house when you clean. You'll find that you'll be toning, losing weight and have more energy to move and lose even more. The boredom will go away b/c you will create a habit of moving. :) Hope this gives you some ideas that fit your lifestyle. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• get a hobbyl, Do some bead work, or clean or play some music & dance around. You have to keep your mind occupied so that it does not have time to think about food. Keepung busy is KEY. I have this problem too, but i learned when i start opening the fridge out of boredom to just do something else.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• STAY BUSY. Whether its doing housework or going out .
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Good grief! Bored? I don't think I have time for bored and I only have one kid. There are a million things I could be doing when I'm not doing housework, running errands, or taking care of the kid!

I'm learning quilting, so I can work on that.
    I want to better my Spanish
    I play instruments so I take the time to practice - though rare
    I make movies on my computer
    I want to learn to skateboard

Look into other stuff to do!!
    Anonymous

• Find something you can do indoors that you enjoy. Knitting, crafts - anything. There are plenty of things you can do you just have to find something enjoyable.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2009