Guns For Little Kids...?

OK... My dads extremly into hunting. Hes an active member of a sportsmen club. He love to go cowboy shooting. Hes taken me shooting before and I had a total blast. Well at a raffle he bid on a new childrens shot gun. He won... He wants to teach my son how to shoot when hes 6 or so. Hes 4 now, going on 5. Im really hesitent to allow this just considering the way this country has been going with shootings in schools. Its terrifying. And its not even Braiden I would be worried about. What if he has a bad friend later in life? Am I over reacting? My father would teach him all the saftey in the world and it would obviously be locked up with his guns. But Im still nervous about it. I shot it last time we went to the country, and its barely got a kick to it. But should he know how to shoot? and when is the best and most appropriate age for him to learn? Im so torn...

BraidensMommy01

Asked by BraidensMommy01 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Guns like anything is age appropriate. He should learn about them the dangers and how to use them.  Since Grandpa is a hunter. Plus it's a wonderful bonding experience for both. We use the  NRA's Eddie Eagle program here.Most childhood gun accidents are caused by ignorance. The child has no clue that there is a gun in the house and finds it knowing nothing about the dangers. It's no different then having household poisons. You teach your children to stay away from them and respect them. Same with guns.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh yes At six he will be too young to keep it himself. Wait until he is much older. Have grandpa keep for him to use with him.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We've taught/are teaching our son about firearm safety & usage since he was crawling. It's something he'll be around, so he needs to know about it. I think if you have a willing and responsible adult ready to teach him, then you should let him. What great memories it will make. If your kid respects guns and has been taught their purpose, I don't think you'd have to worry about any school shootings.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• That's a decision you have to be comfortable with. I don't approve of guns, but you have to do what you think is right and safe.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I won't allow my children to have toy guns, let alone a real one.  It would never happen while I'm still breathing!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• On the one hand, I don't like guns. Never have, never will. DH told me he was considering getting a gun and I flipped out. Not to mention the fact that it's your child - what you want for him comes before anything your parents want for him, and that's the bottom line.

On the flip side, however, studies have shown that children that are introduced to and taught about guns and gun safety from an early age are less likely to become "statistics" in misuse of firearms (showing it to friends and it misfiring, for example) and, in some cases, show less violent tendencies than children that have been around guns, but never taught about them.

If you do not want your child handling a gun, then you have every right to speak up and say so, it's your child. If, however, you don't mind, but your concern is having the gun in the house, perhaps your dad would agree to keep it at his for the time being.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 7:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yes we live in a messed up world but there is nothing wrong with your so learning how to shoot a gun, at least he will be learning about them the right way.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• its not the age, its the child. he may be ready at 5. or 6 or maybe not till 10.. But I also think as long as he is not keeping the gun & is only shooting around a responsible adult, he will be fine at any age. My dad was a gun lover & enjoyed shooting. I got my 1st gun when I was in Kindergarden & enjoy guns myself, even though I never go shooting. Just put the fear of guns in him.. I know my dad did & when i see a gun still even as an adult I have that feeling that safety comes above everything else.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would wait until he's around 12.
    Good Luck. :)
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Im with Beeky.
    Too many fake guns looking like real ones and getting those children into trouble. I wont have it and if something happened and I couldnt prevent then they'd be teenagers before touching one and that was AFTER taking a safety course.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009