which military branch for husband?

my husband is an electrician. he has often talked about enlisting in the military - which i am supportive of. very supportive.... anyway he considered the airforce but now ruled that out after speaking with a recruiter. now hes in between reserves or guard - i dont see the point, might as well be ad from the start with the mess their in.. so now he thinks electrician in the army but they have crappy deployments or a ce in the navy seabees. at first i thought the seabees would be better -shorter deployments, but they seem to go more often and the whole "combat ready" thing is freaking me out. SO which (for an electrician) is A) safer B) less deployments ( i know either way he gets deployed i just dont want it to be every year) C) better for our son
thanks for reading

B-007

Asked by B-007 at 4:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I have been an Army wife for almost 10 years (hubby has been in for almost 12). So I'm going to say Army. Yes, the deployments suck, but I love being an Army wife. Good luck with everything.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 4:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Army and Marines go the longest and Marines are first in last to leave (I love my Marine) Air force has what ive heard to be the easiest boot camp physically. Navy is nice because its usually 6 mos in 6 out but not always. At times of war no dates are guaranteed. Guard and reserves or more part time, but Ive known some locally who have gone 3 times already for mos at a time, and I know some who have been begging to go since it all began and are mad that they havent been called yet. Nothing is ever guaranteed in our military, you cant be promised your man will be safe, that he will come home when you want or need him...Thats part of the sacrifice of our heroes. Sit down with all of the info from each branch, research the different bases, mosgt recruiters lie through their teeth lol so keep asking the wives on here about bases, etc. Good luck to you I hope you all make the best decision for your family.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 4:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• thanks for the replies... what i wouldn't give for a crystal ball...
    B-007

Answer by B-007 at 5:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• they all deploy. they are all dangerous in a way. and they are all hard on families. its alll tough in my opinion.
    my husband is a submariner in the navy, hews the guy who makes and shots off torpedos on the submarine. he does a very dangerous job. hes joined may 2007, and hes been gone for about 1 year and 4 months TOTAL. once, he was gone for 9 months. my daughter was only 3 months old when he left, and he came back and she didnt recognize him at the pier when we waited for him to pull in on the sub. when she got used to him after a week, he left for 3 months, and she had to get used to him again. then he left for months after that....etc...it was the same thing, and now, hes home for awhile. thank god. cause we just had a baby in december.
    it is hard. but its the life i chose when i married him. it does make you stronger, and it keeps your relationship fresh. when they are gone, your new family becomes the wives.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• the wives help each other out with family events, thier the shoulder you cry on when they are gone. you guys keep each other up, you help each other take care of each other. its a hard life i think, but its great life also. yea you get insurance, great schools, meet new people, travel, try new things, but in my opionon, i think a military life is a great one. makes your family stronger.

good luck. whatever you guys choose, it will be hard, but it will be worth it. just dont forget to have great communication, and trust. with out that, you'll go nuts when hes deployed.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Being an army wife is not easy, and not all women can handle it. Your husband will be gone, you won't be able to talk to him and when he says its work, you have to take his word for it. As to which service to join, the air force provides a better standard of living. There housing is nicer and they treat the families i think better. Army is good, but base housing sucks. He can join as a waarant http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm here is some info on it. My husband is a W2 Blackhawk pilot. He's been in 14 years just went warrant three years ago. Coast Gaurd is also an option, they don't really deploy all that much. Friends of mine at pilots for the coast guard and love it.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 6:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Just make sure whatever contract he signs, it says he'll be an electrician. You really have to read the contract. I'm a Marine wife so they get my vote, but I'd pick Navy over Army based on shorter deployments, which doesn't always mean they are back to back and that they seem to take better care of the families.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Army deployments are the longest. Our last one was 15 months. From everythign ive heard, Air Force takes the best care of their families
    Brandie_xo

Answer by Brandie_xo at 7:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know for me being an Army wife sucks but my husband and I have have had a very strange marriage. We met in nov got married in jan he deployed in april after just finding out that I was pregnant and he is still gone. They have cut the deployments down to a year but he left before that so his is 15months. It puts such a toll on a marriage. If you guys have a good strong marriage, trust each other, and you know that you can handle your son without his dad for a year then do it. There are lots of programs that help the wives that have children. There are child care options so that you get a day off from the children for free every once in a while and stuff like that. But them men kinda go crazy over there every once in a while on you! Like mine will call and just be a straight @$$ and I just have to remember that maybe he just saw something horrible or such. But I think that if you guys will be fine just like most. Hooah!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• What about Coast Guard? My BIL LOVES it. He is in the coast guard and has a ball. :) Has your DH actually looked into them? I am an army wife, and I LOVE my husbands unit.

I don't know enough about navy really. I like the airforce too, shorter deployments and they do take care of their families. I grew up in an airforce town, it was great! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2009