Is this wrong? (Question about a candle spell thing I did)

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure what to call it. Candle magick, spell, candle lighting, whatever. Anyway, this was my second venture at writing something of my own and my first real spell. It was simple: candle, sage and lavender oil inside the candle, inscribe candle, light candle, watch candle burn while saying things about the situation. Anyway, I'm asking because I did it for a friend...without asking. It wasn't anything bad of course. She told me last night that she's probably pregnant and not finishing college because her gpa dropped below a 3.0 (it's like a 2.8 or 2.9 now and she doesn't think she can bring it up before the end of this semester) and she can't get her scholarship again for next year unless it's a 3.0. Plus, now she might be having a baby. So I did this, asking for protection and peace for her. Do you think it was wrong, since I didn't get to ask her about it? (It was like 5 AM here.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wrong is a relative term. Some people believe that you should never do any spell for another person without their explicit permission. However, simply thinking "I hope things work out for her" is manipulating energy to that end (though to a small degree), so it seems an unachievable ideal. Most believe that it is ok to preform a spell for the general well being of others without their permission. I agree with this. Adding energy to a wish for your friend to be protected & feel peace is not, as far as I can see, a problem at all.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't think it was wrong at all - it's not any different than me saying a prayer for a loved one and not asking them. Positive energy is positive energy IMO, as long as you're not messing with their free will, then I see no harm.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 7:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ok (I may sound like an old crony here...lol...) first as long as it was something simple as you posted then I don't see anything wrong with it.... BUT..... you should ALWAYS have the permission of the person .... even if you ask if you (to make it less uncofortable to the other person bc of your beliefs)can say a blessing for them... you should let them know or ask.... (JMO) ....
    I hope your friend does find peace in her decisions....

Any time you have a question and don't want to post it here on the boards, please feel free to PM me .....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• That's where I was a little confused. I personally see it as being no different than someone saying that they will pray for someone or whatever, and I've heard many people agree that so long as it's something very simple and positive (something for good health, peace of mind, happiness, etc.) that doesn't interfere with their free will (as the first person mentioned), then it's ok. But I've also heard that even if you're just asking the Deities to watch over someone you should ask their permission first. I just hadn't come across something that said absolutely never do anything for anyone else under any circumstances without permission, so I thought I would ask opinions here. Thanks ladies.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My mother is a Kitchen Witch... and she uses angels as guides ... and during hurricane season she will ask her angels to go and watch over my baby sister and nieces whom live in Fla. on the Ocean side... and she will not ask my sister, she will just do it bc it's her dd... but when it comes to friends or other family members she will ask them first... as I do...

Bascially you will have to create your own way of doing things when it comes to blessings and spells for others, there are many who will NOT do one for anyone else period and some that will... it is (again you will hear this alot) what is "Right" for you... What "Fits" you....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• See, for me, I would ask first unless they asked me to pray for them or whatnot then Id do it because they asked and if I said I will...then I will.

I think what you did was very sweet and I hope the energy finds its way to her home and helps her through all that is coming up.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I've never done a spell without asking first. I'm sure that because they were positive intentions, it should go well. But I would take the opportunity to ask her if you wish to perform another.

*big hugs*
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I did tell her about it (I sent her a message shortly after telling her what I had done and asking if she was ok with that, which I'm pretty sure she would be), but I'm still waiting to hear back from her. I don't think it should have any kind of negative consequences. I was simply asking the the Divine help her through this with peace of mind, and I was careful about the wording and tried to word it so that it was just a generic blessing for peace and whatnot. I just wanted other people's opinions about it. Some have said that in situations like this, it's ok to do something for peace/protection/help, etc. to find it's way to the person, so long as what you do shouldn't interfere with free will. I just started to worry afterwards a little because I'm not sure if it's actually strictly forbidden or what have you. I've read that it is and that it isn't (again, so long as free will isn't meddled with). Thanks for the input!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well, as long as she is okay with it, I guess it isn't wrong.
    But, from my experience, the general consensus is that the spell won't work or turn out right if you do a spell for another party without consent.
    Anonymous

• I do have a problem with this but it's because of the way I see and understand magic. What you did is no different than prayer and therefore not even a spell. It's the same as lighting a devotional candle and praying in front of it. Spell working ONLY impacts you and your life. It can not interfere with someone else's will because it doesn't extend beyond your own boundaries. Attempting spell work on someone else will backfire every time because of this limitation and it will bind you in an effort to change you in according to the spell. It's a very nasty backlash. Which is why spell working for someone else or to change their will is avoided so strongly.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009