i just cannont get my soon to sleep at night... any suggestions?

My son is 6 months old and he just WILL NOT sleep through the night. he wakes up around 3am and wont go back to sleep on his own. I have tried everything. rice in the bottle before bed, the lavendar soaps, letting him cry, everything. He has a set routine so i know that he knows its bedtime

lhutto0526

Asked by lhutto0526 at 7:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies just aren't ready to sleep through. Maybe try pushing his bedtime up a little bit? What time does he go to bed now? Maybe put a soft toy in his crib for something to play with when he gets up? Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I was about to post about a similar problem with my 4 month old. She will wake up and want to play in the middle of the night. I have to either give her her pacifier or feed her to put her back to sleep because if I dont she will just play and play. It takes quite some time, sometimes an hour or so before she cries for me. She wont even go that long during the day alone without crying for me! Maybe as people help you out they can help me too
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You really just need to let him cry it out. It might take an hour or more the first night, but will get much better quickly. He will tire himself out from crying and will sleep better.

Hunny - at 4 months she is too young to put herself to sleep. You can start letting her cry it out after she is 5 months old.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yeah I kinda thought she was a bit young to cry herself to sleep that is why I go in and feed her or give her her paci. If I wasnt so darn tired all the time (we just moved and I am trying to get the house together) I would rather pat her to sleep instead of the paci, but I am only one person and my hunny aint here.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It might just be a phase. My son went through that at about this age. He would sleep til 2am then wake up and want to play. And I tried EVERYTHING!! And finally I just let him get up and do whatever and it lasted maybe 2 weeks and then one night he slept til 5:30 am woke up & ate and went back to sleep. Try putting him to bed later or give him a warm bath. We use to put him to bed at 8 but when he started that I gave him a bath anywhere between 8:30-9 and then he went to sleep 9-9:30.. that also seemed to work a little bit. Good Luck :) && Hopefully its just a phase!

sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Stop giving rice in the bottle, it's obviously not working. He needs more calories, not fewer to get through the night...and even then that may not work. Some babies just do not sleep through that young. But babies do need so many calories to get through a 24 hour period. It's a calorie thing, not a "full tummy" thing.

My best suggestion is that when a baby wakes at night to feed it, change it and put it back to bed. Keep the lights low, interact as little as possible so things stay as calm as possible. Just go in and do what you have to do, don't talk, just feed and change if needed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He could be going through a growth spurt. I think I remember my son waking up all the time to eat. You could also try not changing his diaper if its not poopy or too wet. Leave the lights off and don't make a lot of noise. He'll start to learn that night time is sleep time. Good luck!
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 8:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• How long does he sleep for his naps during the day? If his nap is too long then shorten it or don't let him have his nap. See what works for him. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You could try to put him to bed a little later. My first son slept on his own about 5-6 months all night but my second son is now 12 months and we just got him to sleep through the night. We feed him so he has a full tummy, then a nice bath. I stopped breastfeeding him in the middle of the night, stopped rocking him back to sleep too. I let him cry for a bit and then laid him back down covered him up and turned his rainforest soother on and leave. We let him cry/fuss for a few minutes and he is back to sleep. Each time the crying gets a bit less unitl they sleep soundly. This is what worked for us I hope it helps you.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is he hungry, really? If you do put him back to sleep, does he go quickly? If he's not going back even if you parent him back to sleep, then look into other causes. If my kids eat too close to bed time (solid food, that is), they sleep worse. But, if he is hungry, it's probably "habit" hunger. So, you could try cuddling him until 3:30 the first night, and push the feeding back later and later. Just keep an eye on how he's eating during the day. He shouldn't be starving in the middle of the night. Just a suggestion? :) Good luck.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2009