Should the President of the United States have the Power to Shut Down the Internet?

A recently proposed but little-noticed Senate bill would allow the federal government to shut down the Internet in times of declared emergency, and enables unprecedented federal oversight of private network administration.
Since many of our critical infrastructure systems (banks, telecommunications, energy) are in the hands of the private sector, the bill would create a major shift of power away from users and companies to the federal government. This is a potentially dangerous approach that favors the dramatic over the sober response.
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cybersecurity_Act_seeks_broad_powers_0413.html
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/cybersecurity-act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-773

Who defines emergency?
Isn't this Nationalization of the Internet Security? Is this going to bring about an Internet Tax?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good Lord, that's one hell of a power trip. No, he shouldn't have the authority to shut down the internet.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ditto! How scary!
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Talk about a power trip HUM
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• How scary! No way should anyone be allowed to have that kind of power. This country is changing for the worse as each day passes... thanks Obama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Does this mean that he will also pay my internet bill? Because I'm sure I'll still be getting charged on the days he decides to shut it down.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 11:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• no. thats just a lil' crazy......
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• oh. jeez. I must stop typing and go pray for the future of the nation. Someone needs to pop this government like its a bloated zit, and squeeze the c*** out of it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Sounds a lot like communism. A friend lives and works in China. She always knows when there is something going on in the world because her internet goes out for days. When it comes back on, some of the sites are blocked especially the media sites. It could be weeks before she finds out what happened. It will happen here if we don't become active citizens of our country. I think some of these people we have in Congress need to be watched and fired asap.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think this was introduced mainly in response to some recent activity on the net and concerns that hackers from Russia and China were getting into the government grid.

We rely on the internet too much. If it gets shut down, then yeah, I'd miss it. But I can always pay my bills by mail or in person, I can still go to the actual bank, etc.

Its the net, not computer systems in general.

Don't get all "conspiracy theory" people!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "She always knows when there is something going on in the world because her internet goes out for days. When it comes back on, some of the sites are blocked especially the media sites."

The media sites huh? Probably just another way the government can pull the wool over our eyes. Soon their going to tell what news channels can and cant report on...

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009