For Christians who think the end-times is near....

I keep seeing people respond to posts about bad things happening in the world with "Praise Jesus! He will return soon!" instead of being sad or wanting to DO something to change things. Are you HAPPY that the end-times is coming? Do you see these bad things as GOOD for you, because you think you're going to go to heaven soon? Do you think it's not important to try to fight back against "evil" and change things? It sure seems like it from your replies.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Metalcowgirl, very interesting and thought-provoking post (for those who choose to actually think about it!) This is why I think some (note:some) Christians are brainwashed: Listen to the learned helplessness. The 'There is nothing that can be done to stop it' mentality is cripling. They are just all too eager to remove themselves from thier responsiblity to thier environment, thier childrens future, the safety & well-being of others. I find it heartbreaking that this is what had resulted from some peoples "relationship with Christ", as if Jesus, ever took a back seat, "someone else will deal with it" attitude about anything.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Many of them are looking forward to it, it seems. Unfortunately for them it's not coming. They've been falsely predicting it will happen "in this lifetime" for thousands of years. When will they learn?
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I look at it this way, if it comes then I don't want to know, prepare, etc. Why live your life as if the end is near? That's not the way I want my family to live... How can you know anyway? Do you have a crystal ball? I think it's sad to live like that... What is there to fight? If it's going to happen it's not going to be something we can control.... Good Luck on your struggle...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• This is the main reason I HATE the end times fascination. Jesus said- right there in that Bible everyone purports to read incessantly- that we WILL NOT know the day/hour/etc- so don't worry about it!!
    Seems Christians like to skip over that part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ditto to PP. We will never know and it will happen when we least expect it, basically when things are going great! I do not think about it, I prefer living the life I have right now because I know eventually I will be in heaven with my God. So I'm enjoying what God's given to me as my life.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't worry about it. And, I'm sorry if you all are scared,or trying to "stop" it or "hold it off",or whatever your'e trying to do. No, I'm not going to do anything to keep it from happening. I cannot wait to get to Heaven,and be with my Lord and Savior. My family will be there, as they are all Christians,also. We can only tell non-believers what we know. If you don't want to accept what we say,and what the word of God says, and you think you know best, then whatever happens to you and your family is all on you,not us. Why should we feel guilty because you're too proud to admit that God is real,and that accepting Jesus is the only way to Heaven? Not our fault if you don't want to do that. No, we don't know when it will happen. I plan to live my life exactly as I have been, for God, waiting for Jesus' glorious return. What happens after that is not on me. I have tried to spread His message as much as I can. You cannot cont...
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• tell the word of God to someone who has their mind and ears closed to it. If that's what you believe, then, I guess you'll just see what happens after Jesus comes back,and you are left here. I'm sorry for you all,but hey, you made the decision, not me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't fear the end times nor do I fear the Lord returning. I welcome Jesus Christ's return. I don't know when the end will be, but I do feel like we are living in the end times. You can see the prophecies in the books of Daniel and Revelation coming to fruition. That being said, I don't think God wants His people to quit living, fighting, or being salt and light to a lost and dying world. He doesn't want us to pray and then not act on His will for us. Until He returns, we are to be busy about carrying on the Father's business, to be good stewards of all that He has given us, and to fight for what we know is right.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I hear people making comments all the time about the end being near. But how many hundreds/thousands of years have people been saying that?
    So, while yes, I look forward to the time Jesus returns, that doesn't mean I am not living my life for now, and not enjoying it. And, yes, I think we need to do what we can about the 'bad' things that happen. We should try to change things and make things better while we're here.
    Plus, I want to see my boys get married, have children of their own, etc. And I want things to be good for them.
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 9:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "The End" has been coming for well over 1,000 years. There have been mass suicides, wars, murders based on the fact that someone interpreted things as the "end times". Social security, WWII, Mt. St. Helens, 9/11, the tsunami, tornados, hurricanes . . . they have all been "signs" that the end is near.

I personally don't buy into it. Jesus will come when He's good and ready, and no one can predict when. Does it scare me? A little - I would love to see my kids grow up and have grandchildren one day. But I do believe that I am destined for a better place, so death itself and the "second coming" doesn't scare me in itself. Am I ready to go home? Whenever he's ready to take me.

And for those of you that don't know me or my beliefs, no, I don't think that everyone is going to burn in hell (as I don't believe in hell), and I do believe that my path isn't the only way.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009