How should I deal with this?

Ok I ended up moving out to Indiana and started to see a nurse midwife as my doctor. I'm due April 25th and it's kind of hard to switch doctors now but I really don't like the woman I have. She's more of the "let's do this naturally" kind of person and I want an epi and to be cut before I tear. Do you think I can just let some other doctor at the hospital deliver the baby when the time comes or am I stuck with her?

LittleKMABF

Asked by LittleKMABF at 9:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you can take whoever's on call, but I'd call the hospital and find out what their practice is. Not all hospitals are the same. Unless you tell them to call her, or you call her yourself, you may just wind up with the ob. on call that night. Congrats and good luck with the little one.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• LOL. I like your midwife. WHY would you chose a midwife if you wanted all sorts of interventions? That seems to be a bit of carelessness on your part. Most doctors wont see you this late in the game, but you could always just go to the hospital and get the on call OB. They usually make sure you get all the interventions you want and some you don't even need lol.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I thought about doing just that because I think I have the right to choose who delivers my baby and I just plain don't feel comfortable with that doctor
    LittleKMABF

Answer by LittleKMABF at 9:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I had a midwife. Yes they try and do things more natural but if you request and epi they will give you one and if your going to tear they will cut you. They wont cut you just to do it only if there is reason for it. I did not tear or anything with my daughter so there was no need for it and she was my first. Midwifes can not tell you no to drugs, its your body and your birth not theirs. You could probably do whoever is on call at the hospital as I ended up having another dr deliver my daughter because he was on call that day. They usually will have another midwife on call from the same center as yours. But if you want the epi they will order it for you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You are not obligated to deliver with her, but if you are already registered with the hospital chances are they will call her, especially if the on call OB is busy. Usually there is just one, so if he's in OR you may get stuck with the midwife but she wont be there with the anesthesiologist usually.. so an epi can be requested when you get there
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Does the hospital know about her?? If so, call them and let the labor and deliever people know u no longer want her and are not feeling right with this midwife. If the hospital doesn't know, then when you do go into labor, just don't call her or anything, I know that sounds rude but really it's not when u don't want her to help u anymore.
    Anonymous