Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To report to child services or not?

My neighbor is my friend and we spend a good amount of time together since we are both stay at home moms. I am concerned about some of the things going on in her home. Aside from the yelling and rough handling, I have proof that they let their 2 year old drink beer. I have heard the husband joke about it before, but I caught the son picking up daddy's beer can and drinking from it once and I also saw pictures of two different instances on her camera of the little boy drinking beer. One picture was even the little boy tilting his head back and the dad pouring the beer in his mouth. It is awkward because we are friends and neighbors, but I am seriously worried about ehr two kids. The little boy is already starting to show signs of being developmentally delayed. The mom makes comments like she thinks he might be autistic, but doesn't think the beer is what is causing him problems! Do I report them or mind my own business?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (116)
  • That I would report since you HAVE seen it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I would report them, better for the children.

    Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • yes report it are you crazy dont even question weather you should or not

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I am a state mandated reporter and my advice working for cps is yes. Have them investigate. They will not have to know it was you who called. They will not tell them it was you. How old are the kids? I would contact them for an investigation because if the one drinking ended up with alcohol poisoning or anything you could be in trouble for knowing what was going on and telling anyone.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • um ya i would i think that you might be able to do it anonymously im not really sure but i would think that something def needs to be done.

    Answer by jac1908 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I don't think the beer is what's doing it unless he is actually getting drunk. If you are her friend, then why don't you have a talk with her? Why would you want her to have her son taken away? You can have a talk with her & tell her that if she is not careful, then SOMEONE may call authorities on her. If you are her friend, tell her to her face, don't go behind her back & rat on her. Friends help eachother out with these things, not stab eachother in the back.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • Hmm, lets see. Worry about a friendship? Or worry about the life of a child? I think I'll go with the child. Yes report her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • Do you think someone would actually listen to her if she talked to them? Especially when a lot of people automatically take offense by it? Help her?! She IS helping her by calling CPS. Because if the mom truly wants her son back, she will do ANYTHING to get him back, and straighten up.
    That would be far more effective than talking to her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I would no longer be friendly with someone who I saw give their child beer. I would call CPS on them as soon as I left the house. That is not a funny thing at all. It's not like she isn't very good at keeping her child or house clean, she is giving her child BEER!!! You know what do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • Yes! That is ridiculous parenting!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by SahmTam at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.