Will Bernanke make a complete arse of himself today?

He's supposed to be a Moorehouse Univ. making a speech proving glimmers of hope in the economy, and giving facts to back himself up. Yet, the figures for March show spending is down 1.1% proving just the opposite.
Would you recommend he cancel his speech or borrow an Obama teleprompter full of hope and change?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately, no. He is going to be talking to a graduating class--they are young, primarily liberal, immortal, have grandiose plans to be the VP of some fortune 500 company in less than 5 years, or will save the world with their brilliant missionary type ideals. He could tell them the sky was falling, and they would cheer him on, while scoffing at the notion.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Some companies are showing profits-not much-but profits. Maybe that is what he is going to talk about?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He's not going to cancel a speech on one number. The retail sales were up the previous two months. I still think we're at risk of a deflationary spiral but it's hard to know for sure based on just a couple months' numbers.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Spending is down? maybe people are giving more to communities and less to wall st?Some people find change so hard to accept.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• LoriKeet, LMAO!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He can't say the sky is falling because it would make it fall faster.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• LoriKeet

So you are saying young people can not have dreams?I personally don't see anything wrong with missionary work.What a nice way to stereotype every young graduate !!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Lorikeet-you are sorely mistaken. I am pretty certain that the graduating classes everywhere have pretty good view of the job market. Scary and cut throat.

I think that we all have ideas of where we want to be in the future....

and your phrase "they are young, primarily liberal, immortal, have grandiose plans" is rediculous.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Jenn, I have read many of your posts...all being so excited to finally be graduating with your Nursing Degree, having money, etc. Yet recently you recently mentioned how difficult it is to find a job, as no one wants to hire new grads!!

So, I was merely stating that new grads are filled with lots of plans...however, when reality sets in, many of those plans need to be put on the back burner or altered. I received my BS degree in 1990 from an ivy league university, and didn't immediately go into my major field. For many graduates, you take whatever you can get at first, and try to work your way in later to your chosen field--if ever.

The OP asked if Bernanke was going to make an arse of himself AT the graduating ceremony. I said no, because at that moment in time, the reality of the real world hasn't slapped the majority of the graduates in the face.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• arse...is this you akin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009