Help Ladies-Take the risk to cali job or stay stuck with 20 years exp?

Cheers! I am a baby boomer en ready to spread my wings and take job offer in San Fran. Yes, I know a huge risk during these times, but i feel soo stagnant where I am professionally and personally. I have 4 good boomer friends out ther that have started over..My youngest a frosh in college..Looking for your support, permission and input!
Harmony

harmony707

Asked by harmony707 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• What does your heart want you to do? Staying in a job that pays you if fine if that is where you feel safe. What does this new job offer that is enticing you to want to move to San Fran?

What are you passions? What do you enjoy doing? Where do you want to be in 10 years from now? After answering these questions you can ask yourself which of the two jobs would fulfill those answers.

I would suggest that you write down the pros and cons of staying in current position and moving to CA and taking new position.

A quote I utilize when I know I am ready to make a decision is this. "Advice is what we ask for when we know the answer and we do not like it!" I would bet you know in your heart what you want to do.

If you feel you have a greater purpose than what you are doing now I would recommend that you discover what that is and go for it.

Good Luck! I am sure you will choose what is best for you.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 9:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i read an article about a woman who uses a 10-10-10 concept. she looks at a decision she's having trouble with and decides what it will do, either way, to her life in 10 mins, 10 months and 10 years. and that helps her to decide. so maybe give that a try, how will staying affect your life in 10 mins, 10 months, 10 years? how will going affect your life in the same time frames?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I say if the job and move will make yoiu happy.. GO FOR IT!!! I lived out in Anaheim Cali for awhile and had to move unfortunately! But it was the one place that I just felt so at home! I had 2 good friends I wen to stay with.. People there are great, and I think it will work toyour advantage!! Keep us updated with your decision!
    markayda3

Answer by markayda3 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I say go for it! You probably have already done this but check out/compare the cost of living ratio and make sure the salary they offer is realistic for that area. I have a few friends who got a 'pay raise' by moving out to SF but found quickly the 'pay raise' wasn't enough to live as comfortably as they did in the other place. But it sure sounds exciting I wish you well!!!
    Anonymous