10 Month old, NOT liking formula anymore!

My son has decided he doesn't much care for his bottles anymore. I'm getting around 14-16 oz's into him each day..def not 20 oz's with I've read is the proper amount for him to eat. He NEVER takes more then 5 oz's at once, he's just not a big eater when it comes to his bottles. He does eat pablum or oat meal for breakfast, then he has his meat, veggies, and fruit for dessert for lunch and dinner. We also give him some of our veggies at dinner as well. Is it a big deal at 10 months old that he's not getting as much formula as they recommend even though he eat's so well?? Any suggestions on how to get him to eat his formula, other then mixing it into his pablum? Thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is kind of the same, as long as the weight gain is proper and he is getting the right amount of fruits and veggies I wouldnt worry too much about him weaning himself off of the formula. He might just be growing up... sad i know lol my daughter is also 10 months old and some days will only take 12oz of formula but have 5 servings of fruits and veggies so i would say its not that big of a deal but talk to your doctor
    Liz1125

Answer by Liz1125 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You could try adding milk to it. If he is doing 5 oz at a time from a 6 oz bottle then do 5 oz water and 1 oz milk with the formula to give it a different taste. If he does good with it then I would wait a week and go to 2 oz of milk and so on until he is on milk only.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He is getting to the toddler age and showing you his preferences. He sounds like he is getting a well rounded diet and can't hold much more milk than that. On his next check-up review his diet with the dr,he really sounds fine to me.
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 10:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it's not the taste...I think he's just not associating hunger with liquid now. He knows that he wants that when he's thirsty, so he's not eating all of it. But through the night he does eat all 5 oz's then for his first morning bottle. It's just around lunch and dinner in the evening before bed that he won't really eat more then 3 oz's at once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• That should be fine, since in the next couple months you're supposed to get him off the bottle anyway. Do you give him a sippy at meals? My daughter gets about 3 4-5 oz bottles a day and then eats three regular meals with a sippy cup of whole milk and usually a couple snacks. She's also 10 mo. Her weight gain is fine, she's still growing, I think she's at that age where she just isn't going to need the formula for much longer. Which is good, it will make the transition to no bottles that much easier :)
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He does have a sippy cup. I give him water and juice in it, he's not that good with it cause he doesn't tip it to drink lol, he kinda has to have help with that. But he get's one every day so when I do start the transition to whole milk, I'll be putting it in a sippy and I'm going to start putting his formula in a sippy next month as well....thanks for the advice keep it coming!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Sneak a little formula in his cereal
    Anonymous