music and kids

so the other day i was teasing my mom b/c she had never heard of Poison or ever heard their song "every rose has its thorn" which i have to say i think is a pretty commonly played song if not on radio than on tv and such. anyways, she then tells me she never played anything in the house or car when we were kids unless it was one of our children's records. so that got me curious as to how many people do that? and if so why? do you think it keeps your kids from hearing stuff you don't want them to, or is it to keep the quiet and happy. personally we listen to any radio station except rap (rap stations tend to have more cussing, i like rap but shes 3 and doesn't need to hear that yet) so she hears everything from kids, oldies, country, alternative, r & b and some rap if its on a cd and i know whats coming up so i know what to skip..

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 9:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never played kids songs, they drove me nuts. My kids have always listened to what hub and I listen to, and that's rock
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter is exposed to every kind of music out there. I hate it when mom's limit their kids to nursery rhymes. I think it's much better for brain development to have them listen to EVERYTHING, except for offensive stuff. My friends son, his favorite song is "one toke over the line" He heard it on the radio & can't stop singing it, It's hilarious. Anyway, My daughter shows great enthusiasm for all kinds of music, I would never limit what she can listen too. Except of course for the obvious disgusting music/rap there is out there.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• nope, my son listens to a TON of different things and always has.... He can tell you when Bon Jovi is on and could since he was 3 or 4 LOL!!

PS i am in chesapeake VA, not far from VA Beach :)
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 10:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my daughters favorites are Mariah Carey and Toby Keith (probably b/c thats DH fave and my fave so thats what she hears the most and gets the most reaction out of us) but she also knows Poison, the Eagles, Trace Adkins, and all kinds of others....
    onyourterms...how old is your son? my DD is 3
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• oh heck no! I need my sanity. besides, the boy likes heavy metal more than children's songs.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Because what I like to listen to necessarily is not kid material. We don't listen to kid bop we just put on christian alternative around the little one. That way he can "rock out" and I don't have to worry about adult content.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Our boys love the Mandetory Metallica on XM when we go somewhere... They also love the S&M Metallica we have on cd... The harder rock the better to them,lol And to us really,lol We have a local station here that we put on in the house and they love it too... I was exposed to music all my life, of all kinds, and I think it's good for kids to express themselves with music.. The only thing they won't get to hear is rap, I don't think it's music, it's just a bunch of crap..... When they get older if that's what they choose to listen to I don't care but until then it's up to me.....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We are a very musical family. Some of my children play insturements. I have always had a love of most kinds of music and have passed that on to my kids. We do listen to kids music as well. My LO's are only 2 and 3 and we have satelite radio, which has a family channel. They enjoy hearing theme songs from favorite shows. My older kids however can tell you who the Beatles and ZZ Top are and everyone and everything in between. Love rock, country, classical, oldies you name it. My 23 yr olds first concert ever was going with me when he was 14 to see America. He loooved it! We would rather listen to music than watch t.v.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my kids listen to country and rock, they have heard everything from Led Zepplin to O.A.R to Garth Brooks.... name it they have probably heard it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughters favorite channel used to be VH1, when they played good music. I would put it on in the wee hours of the morning when she was an infant, she was an early riser and that was the only thing that was on, so she would sit up with her back against my belly, take her bottle and watch VH1 with me. She even had her favorite video's and songs
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009