Cold or teething?

My son, 10 weeks old, has an awful drooliy mouth, a runny nose and a slight cough/congested. The pedi said that he was going to teeth early, but I am not sure if its a cold or just teething... He sounds conjuested and its awful! What do you think?

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 10:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething can cause coughing - a wet cough that results from lots of mucus building up and running to the lungs. My daughter is 9 months - she gets a clear runny nose, wet cough and fever every time she pops a tooth (about three days prior). It is NO FUN, and we only have four teeth right now so there are many more sleepless nights to go. I understand the frustration of not knowing if it is a cold or teething since teething can last so long. Good luck!
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 12:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• sounds like teething. my son is 3 and he is getting his back teeth in. and he keeps getting like that every few weeks but his teeth didnt even cut thro yet
    krstqt123

Answer by krstqt123 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Congestion is a sign of a cold. Elevate him while he is sleeping and use a cool mist humidifier. Teething is hard to predict and if he is congested and has a runny nose he can only breathe out of his mouth causing the drool. You will know when its teething because of the swollen gums, and the chewing on everything, a low grade fever and things like that.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter is teething now and she gets a runny nose and thats about it. Coughing and congestion have nothing to do with teething. A runny nose, ear infection and a low fever can be signs of it. If he is only 10 weeks my guess is its his first cold.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Cold. Teething does not cause those side effects. Teething often cuases a child to put things in their mouth, which in turn causes colds (increased expose to germs). But teething itself will not cuase nasal mucus and cough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009