When is the best time to try to start potty training?

My son turned 2 in March. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with potty training. My son knows what to do and where to do it. He just won't do it.

Asked by rissa_mommyof2 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my experience, my son was just lazy. He also knew what to do and where but just did not want to because he knew it would throw him up a notch out of baby stage. I also had my daughter when he was 23 months old so he reverted back a bit. In my experience with my daughter, she turned 2 in December and was day trained in February. It took very little effort from me as her trainer/teacher. I'd say we're still in the potty training stage with her because there are times that she does have accidents. It's a process. Just look at the cues and try to judge from that whether he is really ready or not. Praise him for the times he does go and praise him for the times he doesn't go but just in a different way. Make it a fun learning experience. I hope this helps.

Answer by mommyjen1980 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• well i just started potty training any my DD is 21 months old. I feel it's when they start telling u they peed or pooped in their diaper. When she started bringing me her diapers, thats when I started training, And we're actually doing well with it. I ask her every few hrs if she needs to go "potty" and she answers yes or no.

Answer by Isabelles_mommy at 2:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• When your son starts showing interest. We started training our son at 18 months, but he wasn't ready until he turned 23 months. At 23 months, all of a sudden, he started talking about the toilet, checking it out etc. We knew he was ready. It took 2 days to get him trained.