Please don't say ask the doctor. I am fighting with Kaiser for a record transfer so we are between doctors at the moment. I have a one year old son that is currently on Allimentum formula. I have tried 1 oz of each to 7oz formula: whole milk, 2% milk and soy milk. He takes the bottle fine but after about an hour he starts to throw up. Any suggestions, I am not sure what the allergy is.

recicup28

Asked by recicup28 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may be allergic to milk and soy. I am hesitant to suggest something like rice milk but perhaps you have some thoughts about other types of milk that have been suggested in the past by a physician, nurse, etc.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would try rice milk it you haven't tried that yet. My son is allergic to milk and a I have a friend who's 11month old is allergic to milk, soy, egg, peanuts, and wheat. Rice mike was what he doctor recommended for her little guy. There is also almond milk but I wouldn't try that until you know he doesn't have an allergy to nuts.
    Just2Sweet

Answer by Just2Sweet at 3:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• """ I am fighting with Kaiser for a record transfer so we are between doctors at the moment""" ??? As long as you filled out the relese form they HAVE TO GIVE YOU your records!! Period!!!  Go pick them up in person!!
    Report them to the Hipaa authorities!!

AMA (HIPAA) HIPAA violations and enforcement

Has he been throwing up for a year? or only recently? only recently could be many things, including something as simple as the soap not being rinsed enough out of the bottle or using a new dish soap with a scent to it.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Have you tried goats milk or fresh RAW cows milk? Some people have reactions to the way that soy and dairy are pasturized. Could be worth a try. Ask your local health food store about raw milk... they can't sell it, but they can probably tell you who does!! (it will have to be a local farmer) I hope your baby finds something he can tolerate! Warmest thoughts...
    rowdy2006

Answer by rowdy2006 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well, I'm gonna say this...I have a 15 mo old who has a milk allergy. I am almost positive your LO has a milk INTOLERANCE. I know a milk allergy is the protein, an intolerance is sugar. DO NOT put your child on rice milk, it does not have the nutrients that a child under 2 years of age needs. My son dropped in weight when we did that per instructions of the nutritionist we saw. Our pedi is having us switch him back to formula to get the nutrients he needs since he cannot have milk yet. Are you able to qualify for WIC? I would suggest that you keep your little man on Alimentum. I know that its frustrating, believe me! But it may be your only option!
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son was on Alimentum until he was 18 months! We tried the 1 oz of milk to 7 ozs of formula and so on and he would throw up! I would just keep on with the Alimentum for two more months and then try again with the milk! It took us 6 months until Ayden could drink milk! And now he loves his milk and has no problem with it! So I would just keep on with the Alimentum until you can get to the Dr. and they tell you what to do! Good luck!
    aydens_mama

Answer by aydens_mama at 10:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Have you tried putting rice cereal in his bottles? does he maybe have reflux too?
    Getpaidwithxoxo

Answer by Getpaidwithxoxo at 11:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The allergy is milk and soy, if I were guessing. Keep him on the Alimentum until you get in with a doctor. My son is 14 months and still on Nutramigen, which he will remain on, under doctor's orders, until at LEAST 20 months of age. Allergies are nothing to mess with. Once you get with a dr, request a referral to an allergist so you can get direction and the tools needed to deal with reactions he may have from accidental contact with milk and soy.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2008