450 Million Dollars...

That is one hell of a lucrative divorce. Mel Gibson's wife just started their divorce, and that is what she is set to get because they didn't have a pre-nup. Under California law of community property, assets will be divided 50/50.

Do you think this is fair? $450 million is a lot of money...more than anyone could ever need...and by all rights, he earned it. I'm sure if I were her, I would be going for half and figuring out a way to justify it, but LORD THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY.

So what do you think is equitable? Do you think it should be 50/50, should it be enough to maintain her lifestyle, should it be enough to survive?

It is an interesting topic.

Also, do you think the money makes Hollywood more prone to divorce? I mean, that is a hell of a temptation...not that they don't have access to the money while they're married I suppose.

Just crazy!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh, if I was unclear, his assets are $900 million, so $450 million is the half she would get.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think it is wrong. He earned the money not here. I would say 200 million would be more than enough for her to get along in life. If she cannot live on that she is an idiot. Hopefully, if he ever remarries he gets a prenup. He was not wealthy when they married and probably had no idea he would ever be as wealthy as he is right now. That is why even low income people should have a prenup when they marry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Perhaps Hollywood makes it hard for a marriage to survive but divorce is everywhere. I think if they were married for the majority of his carreer then they are like you and me. It should be no different. However if she has only been around 5 yrs or so then I think it would have been in his best interest to get a pre-nup in place and that was just poor planning on his part. If I am not mistaken he is a pretty devout Catholic and perhaps that was the reason for no pre-nup. We don't enter marriage with the "what if things don't work out" state of mind. Who knows. I guess that is a chance you take when you are dealing with that kind of money.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• How could that NOT be more than enough to maintain at least most of the lifestyle she's accustomed to!?!

Lucky woman! lol. and I think regardless of the fact that he earned it- he also made the conscouis decision not to have this pre-nup and knew what could come of that. Poor Guy :(

and Sadly, I do believe that the money makes divorce more common in Hollywood... it's the best "Get Rich Quick Sceme" out there...
    MssBlckEyeliner

Answer by MssBlckEyeliner at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• She did give birth to 7 children and put up with him for 28 yrs.... I think she deserves it! From what he's done over the years I would say she's earned it....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• if she breaks the wedding vows then she gets nothing if he breaks them then she gets everything. like if he cheats she gets it all or if she cheats then shes gets nothing. but id say 50/50 is fair if tehy agree to divorce together. as in they both want it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It is 50% of their income. That is what most people get in a divorce.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The law is the law, whether it seems fair or not.
    If their marriage is bad enough for the need of a divorce, then dividing that much money is the least of their problems.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009