On a scale from 1-10, how tacky is a typewritten thank you note?

I'll sign my name/the children's names. It just takes soooo long to hand write them all out...

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• With a 10 being the most tacky? A 9.

At least one is being sent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't think it is bad. I agree that it is great that you are sending one. For my dd birthday I always take a pic of the kids all together at the party. I then have it made into a card and put thank you for celebrating with us. (I have them printed at walmart for about 14 cents) the kids love them...Is that tacky? People use computers all the time now...I have never emailed a thank you but typing it is fine in my book if it is still thoughtful and personal.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No, its not a pre printed, generic thank you note. I do think those are tacky.
    It'd be a full, personalized letter thanking for the gift, coming to the party, etc.
    I just type faster than I can write.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 11:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If it has a personal touch I think it is totally acceptable!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't have a problem with it! I was starting to think that thank you notes went the way of the dinosaurs! LOL!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'd be happy to get one at all! I know several people who print them off of the computer because their handwriting isn't very legible.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 4:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If the WHOLE thank you note is typewritten it comes across as being very impersonal!

If you have a lot of them to do, either do a few at a time, and send them out as you finish them, OR create a "pretty" note on your computer using a delicate scripted font (that is large and easy to read), and personally sign each one using a "odd color" pen...like purple, green, orange, pink, etc.

You can buy printer compatible note cards at office supply stores to make it a little easier.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Since it's personalized, it's not tacky at all. It's only tacky if it comes across as a form letter... "Thank you for the nice gift. It was appreciated" is tacky... "Thank you for the beautiful teddy bear. Amy loves his soft his fur" isn't tacky.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If I received it, I would think how kind and polite. Certainly, hand-written is better, but so few people send Thank You's at all these days. You do your thing, just make sure to make each personal and I believe that you will be just fine.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I'm behind schedule and just want to get them done. Maybe I'll just type the ones to my in laws. I dont really care what they think. LMAO!!!
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 9:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009