2 in one question lol...

Is it really that big of a deal (pertaining to allergies) to introduce whole milk at 10 months old, rather then 12 months...AND is it really that big of a deal if your child has something that MAY contain traces of egg white...I know your supposed to wait until 12 months to give anything containing egg white's..but what is the diff if it's 2 months early?? I just don't get what that little bit of time diff can actually do...anyone know something I don't regarding the hazards of introducing cow's milk 2 months early and egg white??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't know you weren't supposed to give kids eggs til they were one.. My son was eating egg yolks at like 3 months and all kinds of eggs at 5-6 months :) Went to his 9 month check up and the pediatrican told me to hold off on eggs and milk til one year.. and I said well he's been eating them since he was like 3 months and she was like .. Ohhhhh and I said Its mainlly yolk he gets and she said thats what causes allergies lol. She said if he didn't have any allergies then don't worry about it. But with the next kid I'll wait. Its just what is best and what is two months really? But your the mom... if you do decide to give either to him watch for allergic reactions.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i think it has something to do with the risk of allergies, more if it runs in the family. nearing 1 year, is best since by then the immune system and digestive system can handle them a little better (since cows milk is hard to digest if intrduced too early). if you have already introduced yogurt or cheese to the baby, and there was no allergic reaction, a tiny bit of whole milk shouldnt hurt. but always follow the 3-4 day waiting period rule. too many new foods introduced at the same time can spark confusion if there's an allergic reaction.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It depends on what kind of food has the egg whites in it. My daughter is 7 months and she eats whatever we do. We avoid fish and eggs still but they will be coming once she gets her top teeth. As for the milk slowly introduce it now. Do 1 oz of milk in place of an oz of water and see how it reacts. If your noticing a ton of diarrhea then stop giving it. If you see they are responding fine then add 1 oz per week until they are on all milk. Only do formula for naps and bed time so they get the things they need from it. Its a matter of your child's digestive system and if it can handle and process the food. If you do it to early then you may cause food allergies. Our daughter eats everything even a little peanut butter on toast in the morning. Good luck
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• well if your kid is use to normal formula, the cow milk part is moot because they are already ingesting it on a regular basis. the egg thing has been going on for decades as to if they are good or bad for your heart or what age a baby can eat which part. but over all if allergies aren't common in your family then it wouldn't be likely for your LO to be allergic to either milk or eggs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• hmmm did anyone hear that it causes future allergic reactions to OTHER things to introduce egg white too soon?? I thought I read that some where...or is it just the actual egg they may develop an allergy to, from introducing it too early??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• After researching and thinking on it I have come to this conclusion: You say what would it hurt giving it to them early? I say, what would it hurt waiting until later for introducing just in case it ends up being bad to give it early? Why not just waiting to be on the absolute safest side? It won't hurt to wait it out. It won't hurt them to not have it...But, it just might to get it early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think eggs are okay in moderation. Cows milk can be hard on babies kidneys and such but very small amounts won't hurt them before 1 year of age.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Not giving milk before a year has more to do with nutrition than allergy risks. If you baby eats formula, yogurt or cheese already then you know your baby isn't allergic to dairy. But whole milke doesn't have the right nutrition for a child under 1 year... they need formula or breastmilk.

Eggs. I've given my son eggs already... after I read a new study that said that holding off on high allergen foods hasn't shown a decrease in allergies... a child will or won't have the allergy to a certain food no matter what age it's given. However... I would still wait until they are closer to a year to give those foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The milk thing isn't an allergy problem, it's a digestion problem. It can cause the stomach lining to bleed if baby's system isn't ready yet. I would wait to be safe. For the eggs, we started at 10 months because we had no family history of allergies and it was fine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009