If god were a man.....

Ok, I knwo this is going to start drama and really, that is NOT my intention. I have just been thinking about this for a few days and I wanted to get some opinions. I know that god is not a man who walks the Earth like my husband or your SO does, but what if he did? Would you put up with the attitude that the bible presents god as having? "Love me or burn in hell!" Just a question and I was wondering if anyone else has ever wondered this.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't really understand your question.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well, if he came walking down the street or was my neighbor and said those things Id laugh at him. Some might try and have him committed. While others might beat him up for acting so cocky.

Ive wondered what people would act like if he came to their home and didnt announce who he was,etc. But that was stuff I was always asked growing up so its always in the back of my head somewhere in the "remember this" file.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The question is, if a man you were dating had the same attitude as the god in the bible does, how would you feel about it? Would you keep dating him? The god in the bible, to me anyway, comes acros as very controlling and cocky. You have to do things his way or you "burn in hell for all eternity."
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My ex-husband was like that... and that is why he is NOW my ex-husband...

No most likely he would get a peace of my mind if not slapped in the face... but then again I would never even be interested in someone like that let alone date one...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I dont think GOD is male at all, look at nature, the colors, the beauty.
    But to answer your question, No I dont think GOD is how the bible makes him out to be, I think it was man that did that for control, a world order.
    I personally dont see GOD "as worship me or burn in hell", that makes him too communist, childish and self richeous, that does not mesh with the "free will" we all supposedly have.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I've asked Christians this and they don't get it. The point is that they say God is "loving", but if anyone else had the same attitude, it would be hateful. If your SO or anyone else declared that if you don't bow down to them, they will allow you to be tortured, that would be seen as arrogant and hateful.....but if God does it, it's "loving".
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't think that the God portrayed in the bible is the actuality of who God is - at least my God anyway.
    God is neither male nor female, good or evil.
    He encompasses all that there is - he is all.
    It is a very unpopular viewpoint in the Christian communtity, but it is what it is.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• IF god was a man walking around here on Earth, he would probably be a guy that I would get a kick out of hanging with, but not someone I would date. Too controlling for me. But, it seems he's only that way with the girls that actually do what he says. The rest of us who don't let him pull any crap; those are the girls that he keeps as friends. LOL.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• god is good , god is great, yeah, whatever...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• God is GOOD . BTW God did become man.. thats His Son JESUS.

God IS loving but you are not understanding His Grace , Metalcow. Only God can open your eyes to see the truth in His word. I can tell you until I am blue in the face and you may never get it. I understand it because He has opened my eyes to understanding His Love.
    Parents love their children but still have to give them consequences when they do wrong. Does that mean the parent no longer is loving or good? You be the judge of that one :-) We are only in charge of teaching them to make wise choices but we cannot make those choices for them. That is how Father God is. Many of you do not see him as a Father but as some Holy Tyrant in the sky.. that is not who He is. It is all about perception and what we chose to see. Above all He loves everyone no matter how naughty they are just as we love our children no matter how naughty they are!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009