Breastfeeding question from a first time Mama.

How long should I avoid pacifiers? I have been told not to give him a pacifier because it will interfere with his breastfeeding. Is this true?

8Leos12Mommy09

Asked by 8Leos12Mommy09 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes it can lead to nipple confusion. Maybe wait until the baby is a few months old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You can give him a pacifier if he is fussy and you want to hold him off on his feeding. It won't do anything a lot of women use them while breastfeeding to hold the baby off for periods of time. Try a soothie one, they are green and clear and are for nursing mothers.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Does he act like he wants one? My daughter never took one past 3 weeks. He may not even want one, try it and see if he likes it but soothies are the best because they are for breastfeeding mothers and they are soft and not hard closed in plastic so they clean easier and are more sanitary.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I waited 3 weeks only to avoid nipple confusion. I liked the Nuk brand.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• it can cause nipple confusion for some babies, but more if they havent been nursed long enough. I have offered my son a pacifer in the newborn months and never had a problem! they come in handy at nighttime or if they get fussy while out and about...etc. he lost interest in pacifiers around 5 or 6 months of age, but once he started teething, pacifiers were great! he chewed the hell out of them!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• With my DD I gave her a pacifier the day she was born to soothe her. She never had nipple confusion and eventually after like 2 months, gave up the pacifier.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would give one whenever you want. I have found that it's more flow confussion rather than nipple confussion (milk comes faster and easier from a bottle) But a pacifier doesn't give food so there shouldn't be a problem... a baby sucks on plenty of things, hands, his own fingers or other peoples fingers and they do fine... a pacifier is about the same.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Waiting 3 weeks always worked fine with my girls... but they never really figured out how to use the pacifier until about 5 weeks or so, and I took it away around 5-6 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We gave my daughter a pacifier in the hospital and she is a great nurser! She just had a strong desire to suck all day long and I just couldn't help her out with that, so we tried the pacifier so I could have a break for once.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• six weeks old
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009