How can we get our babies to sleep unswaddled?

Our babies are 3 1/2 months old. We have been swaddling them since they were born pretty much. Well, I understand that soon we should no longer be swaddling them. I want to go ahead and try to make that transition. I figured that I would try by laying them down without the swaddler for the naps during the day, but they always wake up within minutes of being laid down. My baby girl has slept on her stomach before with me checking in on her every few minutes, but I cannot bring myself to put them down for the night on their bellies. I have tried laying them on their side, but like I say they wake up. They instantly wake up on their backs. Anybody have any advice if you've been through this? Thanks so much!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 12:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked on getting my daughters to sleep unswaddled at around 5-6 months. I think lots of babies don't really lose the arm flailing reflex until then. If she's sleeping well swaddled right now, I'd wait if I were you. When I did start weaning them from it, I took one arm out for a few nights, then the other arm, then finally put them in one of those Halo brand Sleep Sack wearable blankets. This timing is good because that's usually when babies start to roll onto their tummies in their sleep... and that's when it's safe to let them sleep on their tummies... when they roll there on their own. So shortly after they slept well unswaddled, they started rolling over and sleeping even better. Good luck!

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If they sleep better swaddled then I would keep doing it, as long as its not unhealthy I say, do what works for the babies.

I would NEVER lay them on their stomachs, they are better off swaddled.
    Anonymous

• I only stopped when they did not want it anymore. It got to a point where my little ones wanted to use their hands and being swaddled prevented that and ticked them off.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i stopped swaddling once my son could kick off the blanket. he is a tummy sleeper. he's almost 1 and I still lay him on his back. but during the newborn months, once he could roll over, onto the tummy he went, or he slept on his side. but I didnt worry about it after a while. once babies can roll over good, the risk of SIDS is very low. if they get uncomfortable the body will know and have the strength to move around.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009