What do I do when my son throws a tantrum?

My son is 16 months and was throwing tantrums before, but its starting to get worse. He hits, bites, slaps, throws himself to the floor, and screams to the top of his lungs. What do I do? Please help

t_ersland07

Asked by t_ersland07 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore him. Do nothing and leave the room. He will quit because there is no reaction from you and no audience to entertain.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would completely ignore my daughter. She eventually learned it wasn't going to do any good. I would keep going down the grocery store isle and keep looking at the food. I would even step over her and go in another room.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my son is almost 1, and has started throwing tantrums. if we take something away he isnt supposed to have he throws himself on the floor. as the other responders wrote, I have heard it's good to just ignore them.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well, I swatted my sons' diapers because it will not go away. It will only get worse if you don't address it now. My MIL tried everything with her oldest. He use to bang his head on the floor and scream. So, out of frustration, she got on the floor and told him that if he was going to do this then do it right and proceeded to "help" him bang his head. He never did it again! (Oh, he ended up being a graduate from UNC with a parmacy degree. I would say it worked!)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Omg I'm so glad my son isn't the only one who does this. My son is 13 months but has been doing it since he was about 8-9 months but its just getting worse. I just stay firm with him.. tell him no when he hits and is mean like that and holds his hands and spank his butt.. the tantrums I just ignore him.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Walk away. I have 5 kids, and they don't throw tantrums.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my son is 16-1/2 months and I make him sit down if he's going to walk around and cry - he hits himself or hits the wall or pulls his hair, then crys and says Ouch. I have started time out when he doesn't listen and he does really good at it but I refuse to give in to his tantrums - I let him throw them and walk away
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i laugh at JB and turn around.. My kid has lost his mind doing that.. LOL My hubby picks him up and says"are you going to keep acting like this or are you going to bed"i can tell ya hez going to bed and yelling it out for a min.. LOL he just doesnt seem to get it.. LOL but its getting better.. i do bust him to though.. 17m or not he needs to know whats up..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• When my son would do that, I'd pick him up, set him in his room and walk away, saying, "You can come out when you quit acting like that." I ignore him after that, except to put him back in his room. If he came out 3 times, I would put the baby gate up across his door so he couldn't get out. I would let him come out as soon as his tantrum stopped. It worked great.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009