PPD

my best friend is going through severe PPD her husband is in the military and she really doesn't have anyone so I suggested I'd take here baby for a few days so that she could get some help..do you think I should have done that any suggestions....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• That was very kind of you. I'm sure it will help. Women with PPD need all the help they can get. Good for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• That is very kind of you to offer that for her. Is her husband deployed? Does she know what she needs to do to get treatment paid for through the military? If she has any questions about what she needs to do you can PM me for her. I have had depression treatment in a miltiary facility before (my hubby is in the Air Force) so maybe I can give her some suggestions. She's going to appreciate you being there to help her out.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know how hard it can be to have a baby and your husband deployed. I never had PPD, but if I would have I would have been lucky to have a friend like you. I think you did a wonderful thing to help her like that, but she does still need to connect with her child, she won't get any better if she doesn't get help and doesn't try to be a mom. I will be praying for her. Good luck.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• she knows where to get the help thats why I offered to take care of her baby....I live a few houses down from her ....so I think it will a little easy for her knowing her baby is just down the street....To answer your question April he's in the Army ....she was 7 months pregnant when he left but I think him not being here and missing the birth kind of made her depressed that and this was their first child so that made it more difficult....but I think she'll be ok
    Anonymous

• If she is severly depress watch her closely. She probably really needs a break from the baby, but moms with depression are more likely to hurt themselves if they know their baby is taken care of by someone. Not saying she will but look for signs of it.

That really was sweet of you too, she is a lucky girl to have a friend like you.
    Anonymous