Does anyone else have a 15 month old who won't walk?

It's not like she can't walk she just chooses not to walk. She walks around on her knees. She doesn't even crawl anymore she just gets on her knees and walks. I think she's afraid of heights. ha! Anyone else going through this?

Kenzies_mama

Asked by Kenzies_mama at 12:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 6 yr old and my 3yr old both started walking at 15mo. Have a ped check her out to make sure everything is okay. My guess is she is fine
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is 15 months and is just starting to walk independently. He took his first steps at 12 months and has really taken his time to develop the skill. He still has his off days...sometimes he refuses to walk unless someone is holding his hand. I think it really boils down to personality...some children are just more cautious. I wouldn´t worry about it too much...she´s still in the normal range for starting to walk. I know it´s hard though if you have a family that is constantly asking "Is she walking yet!?" its so annoying!
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 12:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I had a friend who's dd walked on her knees until she was 3. she is stilll a little young to be overly worried about it. I would just encourage her to stand around the couch or coffee table to strengthen her legs and get her use to being up. Work with her everyday. And if she is still doing it in a couple of months. I would take her to the Dr for an evaluation.

My friends dd went to a special school that worked with her orthapedically and within one week they had her standing and walking. The teachers and therapist told her that the mother was assuming she couldnt do it for some reason and letting her "get away" with it. The therapist knew her legs were fine and she was being stubborn and refused to let her on her knees. It made her MAD MAD MAD when they forced her to walk, but it worked.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my son didn't start walking until he was 16 months old
    Brookey

Answer by Brookey at 1:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter who is now six, didn't start walking until she was 18 months old.

BouncinTigger

Answer by BouncinTigger at 1:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No..but Cadence had a problem of crawling backwards. She never really learned to crawl. She just one day stood up and took off. She was 10 months old, i believe?!? Every child walks on their own pace. One day she will just get the courage and start running around your house, LOL!
    BrittAldrmn

Answer by BrittAldrmn at 1:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son started walking at 16 months, and he is completely healthy. I think the range is from about 9-18 months.
    nickat

Answer by nickat at 1:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My middle son didn't walk until he was 18 months old.. ironically his twin sister was walking at 9 months. he was talking in full sentences by a yr and she didn't speak clearly until she was almost 4. All kids are different and develope at their own pace.I would not worry to much about it.. your daughter will walk when she is ready.
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 3:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my daughter goes to pt b/c she had hip,leg prob shes 19months and is just now taking steps
    lilmama406

Answer by lilmama406 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009