Do you think Moms are paranoid now?

It seems like kids are not allowed to do anything. They might get hurt or "gasp" dirty. My neighbor doesn't allow her kids to go outside when it rains. Ok...we live in the Northwest.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I know many parents that don't let their kids do anything, They aren't allowed to paint or play with playdough...they will get dirty. I LOVE playing in the rain as a kid...it was a blast especially on humid days. My friends thought I was crazy to let my son play in the rain. As long as it's not thundering or lightening, there is no harm in it. My son played in mud,sand, dirt ...I let him make a mess and get dirty. Isn't that the point of being a kid? Isn't that what soap and water is made for? To clean up the dirt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• *I need to clarify, she doesn't allow her kids to go out in the rain because she doesn't like dirt.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• ummm....we don't play outside when it is raining. Not because of getting dirty mind you, but I thought it was just common sense to not play outside when it is raining.
    Anonymous

• Oh yes, I think parents are WAY over protective these days..There is common sense protectiveness, then there is just foolishness. My kids loved the dirt, love to climb trees, ride bikes, skateboard, roller skate, ski, ETC...yes they've gotten hurt sometimes, but thats part of growing up, skinned knees, dirty nails lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh playing in the rain is a blast....its only bad when it's a cold rain, like in the spring or fall, OR when there is lightening, then yea, stay inside. But just a nice summer shower, those are awsome
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It rains nearly every day here. There is a saying, we in the pacific northwest don't tan, we rust.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I try not to be that way...sometimes I go play in the rain!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• LOL SusieD250, I know what you mean. We're at McChord outside of Tacoma, and when it was raining on Easter, one of the kids we had over here wasn't allowed to go outside in the rain, so ALL the kids had to do their Easter Egg hunt in MY HOUSE lol! But I do think some moms are paranoid. Some things are common sense, like not letting your kids go running around the neighborhood unsupervised, not letting them jump off the house with a sheet for a parachute, etc lol. But my kids play in the dirt, they play in the snow, they play in the rain. If they didn't we would never go outside! You just have to use your common sense.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh man, I feel bad because I am THAT mom and I think I have made my daughter like that. For instance if we have to go outside in the rain. I have to carry her to the car because she gets so upset when she gets dirty. If we go to the park and she gets sand in her shoe, on her clothes or hangs, or something like that, she doesn't want to play anymore. She tells me "Let's go home and take a bath." SOmetimes, she even cries... Probably from all of these years that I folow her around with wipes and spare clothes to wipe her off and change her when gets dirty... :(
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know I am. I am working on it but I guess it was because I was raised in the complete opposite way. My mom never cared what I was doing. Probably why I got pregnant at 15. Maybe if she had been more strict oh well i love my life now so no need to dwell.

lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009