sex and labor?

I know everyone is talking about having sex to help bring on labor but what is it exactly that helps? orgasm or penetration? what about masterbation does that work the same way? just curious cause I am almost 40 weeks and I don't really like having sex much right now I'm feeling too fat lol..

faithsMoM27

Asked by faithsMoM27 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its the semen. The doctor tells you to have protected sex until you are 37 weeks because the semen can cause you to go into labor.
    Anonymous

• It's a combination of orgasm and sperm. Sperm contains prostaglandin. Prostaglandin is often used to induce labor. Orgasm causes uterine contractions. I know it wont' work unless your body is ready though. I had sex with my oldest when I was 39 weeks, I had been crampy all day though, and I went into labor within 1 hour literally. My youngest sex did nothing for me.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• masterbation will help cause it will cause you to have an orgasm. and that would work to stimulate your uterus.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Orgasm releases oxytocin which is the same hormone that causes you to have contractions. Sperm has prostaglandin which ripens the cervix.

I personally went into labor at 40 weeks 2 days right after sex.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ok I'm going to try it...hope it works I am seriously ready to go!
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009