Is it too soon to give my almost 3month old cereal?.

some people say yes and some say no but she always seem so hungry an hour or so after she has a full 5 or 60z bottle.what should i do?

zoriah26

Asked by zoriah26 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started feeding cereal at 3 months. Between that and nursing he had a nice full tummy and has never been sick or had any health problems.
    Anonymous

• Try putting more formula/breastmilk in the bottle. Three months is too young for cereal and it really doesn't make them stay full longer. There is not much protein in cereal, it's all in the milk.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• starting her early won't make her more full, she'll just want more. 3 months is a bit early, most docs recommend no earlier than 6 months, but mine is 5 months now and has been on it about three weeks. you actually need to make sure that she doesn't eat too much at her age. it's hard to regulate, but sometimes if all she seems to want to do is eat, you need to try and distract her. play time, toy time, tummy time, anything fun! I know it's hard. is she on a schedule? that may help so she doesn't expect food all the time. good luck
    Anonymous

• also, the earlier she starts may cause allergies. not sure why this happens, but they've seen time an again that a few babies develop allergies when pushed too early. again, good luck!
    Anonymous

• my son started getting a little cereal in with his milk at 3 months. i was told to do this by someone who had raised 5 boys. my son is a healthy 21 year old. had no problems with adding a little cereal.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'd try increasing the amount in the bottles and see if that helps. Our pediatrician told us to wait until 4 months to start cereal.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I started cereal at about 10 weeks he was taking 5-6 oz bottles and at night we would give him about 1.5 oz of cereal.

He has always been a big eater.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• talk to your pediatrician.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 1:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You need to know that cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. Ask a doctor. Solids are usually recommended after 4 months at the earliest. Most doctors are now saying six.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I started giving my son cereal since he was 1 month ago. The doctor oked it and he is now 5 1/2 months and eating solids.
    mercy1125

Answer by mercy1125 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009