When do they start on milk?

How did you start yours on milk? How early, and did you ween them into it or just gave them a taste one day and went from there? mine is 5 months, not planning on doing it now, still early I think.... just wondering for future ref. thanks!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Slowly start to mix formula and milk together, then reduce the amount of formula until it is just milk. Milk isn't feed to kids until 1 year old.
    Anonymous

• My kids were about 1 and I just switched them, once they got a taste of milk they didn't want formula. If you are breastfeeding, you could wait to give them regular milk until after they ween. Also they do make formulas for babies over 1. If that is your prefered route. But I just gave them milk.
    Anonymous

• You really should wait until at least one year. I did it gradually and started putting a couple ounces of milk in with his pumped breastmilk. The doctor said it's more to get them ready for the taste change and not so much for their stomach. It isn't going to be a huge deal if you just stop formula cold turkey and go to regular milk (not for most kids anyway). But you should do it gradually so they can really adjust. Don't start until around 12 months.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• well ive been bash over and over for this so get ready.. LOL I start at 4m old on whole milk and formaula, then after two weeks full blown whole milk.. JB lovd it.. It filld him up unlike the water and formula... he is still on it to this day (17m) and going strong.. I give him soy at night cause to much can hurt his belly.. but i say go for the gold mama..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 1 year old and then my doctor told me to use whole milk until they turn two then you can switch to 1 or 2 percent.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009