Pumping.

How much milk should I be getting when I pump? I get 1-2 oz, but then I'm hearing my baby should be eating 3-5 oz of my expressed milk from a bottle in one sitting. Seems like a contradiction.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 1:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When i was pumping i had a hard time expressing enough, I had to supplement 2 feedings a day with formula. and I was pumping every 2 hours for 10 mins each side. HTH
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Are you exclusively pumping? Keep in mind that your baby is far more efficient than a pump. You may have to pump more frequently to get the amount of milk you need (or for longer periods of time). If you're breast feeding and pumping...then pump first, breast feed after to help completely empty your breast which will create demand and signal your body to create more. I often found I could pump anywhere from 2-4 oz and then breastfeed to baby's satisfaction. Its all about supply and demand...the more you demand the more your body will create.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Looks like you have a tiny little one still. So they only eat about 2 oz per feeding and that's fine. Over time your baby will take more. I think my son took 2 oz of the first month, 3 at 2 months and 4 at 3 months and stayed with 4 until he was 6 months. Now he takes 4-6 depending on what he wants.
    Also, some people can't pump well... it's too artificial for them and they can't let down.

Check out the website Kellymom.com it is an awsome site for breastfeeding and pumping info
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The average is .5-2 ounces. A baby needs 24-30 ounces of breastmilk a day. If the baby eats every two hours, aproximately two ounces is needed. Every three hours, approximately three ounces is needed. This remains the same as baby gets older because the milk changes to fit the needs of the growing baby. The only reason to increase the amount of milk in a feeding is if baby is going longer between feedings.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Use this calculator to help know how much for bottles
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

You are pumping about the norm, no worries...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 1-2oz is normal pump output. :) Are you exclusively pumping or are you pumping at work, or for the occasional feeding? The answer really varies depending on the situation.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 4:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009