My legs have been itching terribly! Is that apart of pregnancy or should i bring that to my doctors attention?

Both my upper and lower (more my lower then upper) have been itching SO terribly. Infact am now getting this sort of rash or something on my lower legs from itching so much. Is this apart of prgnancy or should I consult my doctor about this?

NewMommy2588

Asked by NewMommy2588 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was always told to call your dr if it concerns you enought to question calling your dr. So yes i would call my dr.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My legs were always super itchy. It didnt matter what I did. But I never had a rash. If you have a rash you need to go to the doctor, that is a rare condition associated with pregnancy and only the doc can fix it.
    Anonymous

• Itchy skin during pregnancy...I looked it up on Baby Center:

Up to 1 percent of pregnant women develop a condition characterized by itchy, red bumps and larger patches of a hive-like rash on their bellies. This is called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) or polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.

PUPPP usually begins in the third trimester and is more common among women carrying twins and those having their first baby. The eruptions usually show up first on the abdomen around or in stretch marks (if you have any) and may spread to your thighs, buttocks, and arms. PUPPP is harmless for you and your baby, but it can itch like crazy!

This might be what it is. I had this when I was pregnant. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It is a reaction to swelling. Have your legs been swelling? The skin stretches and causes itching. Don't scratch. Moisturize a lot. See the doctor as it could be more serious.
    Anonymous

• Are you itchy any were else like on the palms of your hands, are you feeling sicker latly, or vomiting, or do you have a achy pain under your ribs on the right side that comes and goes, if so you could have a rare condition called cholistasis of pregnancy, i got it and it is dangerous for you and the baby, you should call your doc to to make sure, most women that get it only experance severe itching, but dont worry to much it is really rare, and itching during pregnancy is very common, good luck.
    mandyjh

Answer by mandyjh at 1:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know my friend had this with her past pregnancy..she said it was the worst ever!! I will see if I can get a hold of her and ask her what she did to sooth the itch..
    KylonsMom

Answer by KylonsMom at 2:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009