Fairy Tales, Fantasy & Religion

I do a lot of reading/research, I like to know the orgins of anything that I question, am interested in and so forth...
Fairy Tales included. For some people they think that they are all just fantasy made up tales and yet there are much further roots to them .
Now while reading I started thinking, if people don't have a problem telling their children Fairy Tales and then tell them it's just make believe, what is to stop your child(ren) to think the Bible isn't the same as the Fairy Tale books that you read to them? Or is it bc YOU tell your child(ren) what they NEED to believe? It doesn't matter the Religion either.
What's NOT to say that the Bible is a Fairy Tale, men wrote it. It was written in similar fashion as Fairy Tales, by the story being told down the line for generations and then written.
And if you don't allow your child(ren) to read Fairy Tales is that the same for the Disney movies? ... (Cont...)

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 1:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is currently an obsession with being right, which means that other people are wrong (by definition). That means people label the myths of other people as fairy tales, stories, & make believe, often while clinging to the illogical belief that their myths are literally true. Folklore tends to be more of a mix of history & myth. Someone above mentioned reading Joseph Campbell. If you want to understand these issues a study of comparative religion is the way to go. Joseph Campbell is the best known & probably most prolific writer on the subject. I think he is a genius, but some of his books are hard to comprehend or dated so if his writings don't work for you there are plenty of other writers on the subject. I also like David Leeming.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• And if you read these same stories as a child what is the difference from then and now that your child(ren) are not allowed to?
     I am curious bc I hear a lot of people saying this is wrong, that is wrong and we WILL NOT allow our children to do this, that or the other....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Read The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You are exactly right. It is our right and our priviledge combined, as parents to TELL our children what we think they should believe or know.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Er...not exactly sure what the question is here...

I read my child fairy tales; I do believe the bible is full of fairy tales...
    Anonymous

• Until a few years ago, I DID think of the bible as "fairy tales". Even as a kid. I think the concept of faith and religion is just to complicated for a five year old, in all honesty.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My brother and I were talking yesterday about how my mom told his daughter the Easter Bunny didn't exist. My brother was really mad. He said he was devastated how mom told him Santa wasn't real and didn't want his daughter to be "enlightened" by an adult revelation. He just wants her to grow out of the belief.

My brother is a Christian and went on to say when our mom told him Santa was not real, he questioned whether or not Jesus and God were real, too. As a child, this is completely understandable. Children are confused when you tell them fairy tales and make out like they are real and then tell them the truth later, but expect them to believe you about Jesus and God who are also "invisible" but "real".

I agree with jennijune 21 that the concept of faith and religion is not fully understood until you are an adult.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The bible has historical concrete evidence to back up its stories, fairy tales do not. Can you actually go the exact locations that are made up in fair tales and physically touch the proof for the stories written? Probably not. A group from my church went to Israel a few months ago and told of all the concrete evidence available that validates the bible 100% www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/exodus.htm

mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Annon 123... the questions are there in the post...

Ok... I see everyone's points of view, but answer me this then, these fork lores were past down verbally for generations and then written down, such as the Bible was... now these same stories have under gone changes/re-prints (you might say) and so has the Bible...
    So why is one called make believe and the other actual?
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "The bible has historical concrete evidence to back up its stories"

But the bible also misconstrued things (historical happenings) that have been proved by science. It is written in the bible that certain signs were the act of God. But science has already explained these occurrences as natural. People didn't know what we know now about nature and science. They believed everything was an act of God because they had no other explanation.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2009