Got any ideas for a 6 year old boys Birthday party?

I need to plan my 6 year olds Birthday party and trying to do it as cheap as possible. Do I have to serve food? Do people expect a meal at every Birthday party? Or should I just do finger foods? Can I have just an ice cream social (my son does not eat cake)?
And do I invite just immediate family? Or extended family (like Great Aunts and Uncles, second cousins)? Or keep it to just his kid friends? If I do just immediate family it will be small. If I do extended family included it will be huge!
In the past I've done huge parties that cost too much. I'm also torn because we go to all parties we are invited to, cousins, second cousins, etc...and buy presents for each, I feel like my son misses out on those gifts if we don't invite them. Know what I mean? Any advice you can give...please help!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 6 is probably the one your son will remember ulike before, so if he does remember his big day, what do you think he will be talking about. That one aunt who didn't show up with that one cool toy he didn't get? NO he'll remember the great gifts he did get, the balloons, the fun, the friends. Focus on the fun and games and in celebrating his birth--day. Be happy this day, show him why you're having this party. If the price is too high to invite all, keep it simple. If its a big backyard blow-out expect a lot of guests. I was always suprised by this. But I found that most older folks with grown kids don't really care for chuck e. cheese type places and expecting invited classmates is as unpredictable as whether or not it will rain. Sometimes they show, sometimes they don't. But it's not their birthday, right?
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is 6 and we invited all of his little friends from church and school and his cousins. If your son does not eat cake, try an ice cream cake. They are delicious. Your local grocery store or bakery should carry them.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Could you have it at a park and call it a "pot luck" picnic party? You can bring the ice-cream. That way the party can be as big as you want and still be cheap.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would serve sloppy joes in a crock pot they do a long way with chips and juice maybe make some home maid cup cakes for the kids that eat cake and I would just do immediate family make up some fun games for the kids and have fun

Anonymous

• You have several options, if you want to do food (which is not necessary) then you could do potluck as previously suggested, you could do sandwhiches (feed about 50 for $10-Sam's club!)
    or skip the "meal" and just do an icecream bar, and finger foods. If you invite everyone, I'd say go potluck. I'd say no matter which way you go, let him invite some friends (that's a big deal at that age). Good luck.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009