my baby keeps spitting up

My baby is almost three weeks old and spits up quite a bit after I feed him. Is this normal? I also try to burp him like three different ways ( patting his back, sitting him upright, and with my hand under his chin patting him) andwe can not get him to burp! Any suggestions?

CarleeDalene

Asked by CarleeDalene at 1:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First suggestion - burp him half way through his feeding. It will help reduce spit-up with the after-feeding burp.

Second suggestion - lay him across your leg and pat him on the back to burp him. This worked the best with my daughter until she was a little older. Its all about pressure on the belly to get the bubbles out. Light taps on the back won't do it for most babies.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Every baby is different with the burping...just try different techniques until you get the one that works best. Different techniques also worked best at different ages....its a constantly evolving thing. Try taking breaks and burping every couple of ounces...it also gives the milk time to settle before you add more. Don't lay baby flat on his back right after a feeding either - an incline is better for digestion (bouncer, carrier, propped up in a boppy pillow). The burping technique that worked best for my daughter at that age was over the shoulder with a slight bounce at the knee. Good Luck. Don't worry too much about the spitup..unless it seems to be bothering him. Some babies just spitup a lot. Mine did until she was 8 mo....she wore a bib constantly. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i say give him some gas drops.. put him over your knee and go to town.. he really needs to burp or he will just keep on spitn..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? If so, the baby might not burp all the time. My doctor told me that spitting up for the first little while is normal and that they can only spit up 60% of their stomach contents, so as long as she's gaining weight that it's okay.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 1:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with double, if you are bf'ing then he may not need to be burped. When he spits up, does he burp with it? If so, then it is a burping issue. If not, then he may just spit up more than some other babies. As long as he is gaining weight and does not appear to be in any discomfort, then stock up on bibs and ride it out. My spit up consistently until she was about 6 months. And still does once in awhile when she is teething. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009