How long does it take to get rid of cradle cap?

i put olive oil in her hair once a day but her scalp is still very dry

zoriah26

Asked by zoriah26 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will go away as she grows new hair and new skin. Leaving it be is the best thing you can do.
    Anonymous

• For Kaylee the only thing that worked was Selsun Blue. But that only worked once the cradle cap had turned an orange'ish color and was ready to come out. If its not done running its course, then even if you get rid of it it will come back.

To actually answer your question - it depends on the baby. Kaylee got it at 2 months and had it until 6 months.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• cradle cap can also be the build up of shampoo and when my son had it when he was real tiny I used a small amount of vaseline and a soft (kid size soft) toothbrush and gently massaged his scalp with the vaseline. The pieces would come loose and it got rid of it after a couple times doing that and if it ever started coming back I'd just do it again
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I tried everything for my son's cradle cap! He had it so bad that his pediatrician was sending him to a dermotologist....Before I made the appt for the dermotologist, I tried one more shampoo. My neighbor used it for her son so I wanted to give it a try. I only had to use the shampoo 3 times and his cradle cap was completely gone!! The shampoo is Gentle Naturals Cradle cap care It is in a light green bottle with Disney babies on the front.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 1:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Forgot to mention.....I also used a soft brush on him while the shampoo was in his hair.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is 5 months and he had cradle cap until he was 3 1/2 months. I bathe his body and left his hair for last. Then I put BABY OIL and scrub gently his head. After I shampooed it. I did this twice and Thank god IT"S GONE!!!!!!!
    mercy1125

Answer by mercy1125 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009