Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best/most accurate online tax prep or who can I still get to do my taxes?

I normally do my taxes on my own but the other day turbo tax & HR block were 8K difference in what I owed. So trying to figure out if there is another service to use or if places like Jackson Hewitt that are taking last min walks in are good enough.

Any suggestions would be great. First time in 15 years of paying taxes I am this late.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (9)
  • I'm not sure, I've always used to file my taxes. I always do them on paper myself first though, to make sure the software online does it correclty. I'm sure any tax place in town is open, it's just a matter of trying to get in there, and actually get seen by someone, being the day before the deadline. Good luck!

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • If you go to you can see if you qualify for free tax help, or they can assist you in finding someone credible to do your taxes correctly!

    Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • At this point, why don't you just retrieve copies of LAST YEAR's tax forms you completed, and try to replicate what you did last year and adjust your accounting accordingly to any changes in your income/deductions, etc.

    Then compare this year's numbers to what you calculated from Turbo Tax (which I believe H&R Block uses!), and file accordingly.

    If your income, marital status, number of dependents, etc has changed dramatically from last year then it might be worth it to take advantage of the walk-in services JH is offering.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 1:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

    all online, free if you don't use the "expanded" program and cheaper than turbo tax if you do.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 2:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I'd print out both versions and see what the difference is between the 2 you obviously made an error or missed something. Then correct it or use the one that gives you the most back, I seriously doubt you are going to get audited in todays messed up economy, I mean really the treasurer cheats on taxes why can't we?

    Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • We use turbotax. If your taxes are simple and you make less than a certain amount, you can do them for free. If they are more complicated, you might have to pay for them.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • If you are having that much of an issue, this close to the due date, I would suggest filing an extension and researching an accountant. jmo

    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • I used Taxact. I filed my federal and state cost me 13.95 for state federal was free. I had H&R block do them and they did them wrong. I amended 4 years of returns and got back 10k.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • You may want to consider calling a CPA and file an extension. Then the CPA can take more time to help you do it correctly. A lot of people file extensions for various reasons.

    Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.