My dog ran off the same day a dog got hit, what are the chances? (srry need some help, I'm very upset)

ok, my dog ran off sunday night or very early monday morning. when he runs off he is usually home in a couple hours (everytime), but he still isnt home. My Dh went out looking for him yesterday, talked to the dog catcher, and didnt find him. I went out today looking for him and I asked a couple people. when I described him to the different people they got a very sad look on there face and sad a dog was hit (right down the road from my house!) on monday morning. They also said the dog catcher had to put him down, which in my town (hickville) they shoot the stray dogs! He had his collar and everything but I just cant seem to find him and my gut is telling me that his grace on this earth has come to an end. I am very emotional about it, he was our dog for three years!. Not to mention my pregnancy hormones. Anyone got any advice. I have fliers up and posted an ad on craigslist. I hope he is still with us!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• Can you contact the dog catcher and ask him about the dog that was hit? He shoud have some kind of report, or at least remember it. I'm sorry he ran away. =(
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh my. I am very sorry. I'm afraid it does look as though he is gone. Yet why didn't someone at least bring you the collar? Maybe they put him down from his being hit and didn't notice the collar until later. Call the vets and the pound, just in case, in addition to what you have already done. But it really doesn't look good. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 1:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I feel your pain. I lost my cat of 13 years when I was six months pregnant. I found her dead behind a door in our office one morning. She was just fine the night before and didn't give me any indication anything was wrong.

Then, after our son was born and only a few months old, another cat I "adopted" who was outside-only, disappeared. That was almost two years ago and I still wonder if he suffered.

Pets are a double-edged sword. =^..^=
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh no, i feel bad for you. Our pets are like of children sometimes. However, why was he even out at night and loose. Why not in a yard, or chain if he was an outside dog? I never let our dog outside unattended and we live way out in the country. Reason being because you never know when one of those will get in there mind to wander off. And if he did have a collar, they SHOULD have contacted you and let you know and you could go get your possession back. And i f neighbors are saying dog catcher had to put him down, i would ask him why he said he hasn't picked up a dog like yours. Maybe it wasn't him. Maybe he will come home.
    Anonymous

• He isnt an outside dog and we didnt intend on letting him roam wild, anon. Our back door was recently kicked in so now it doesnt shut all the way and he can open the door to our storage room where the back door is. He did have his collar on and I have no clue why no one contact us! We spoke to the dog catcher and he said he did put the dog down that got hit but that the dog had brown behind his ears and mine doesnt! I've called everywhere and no one has seen him! idk where he could be:(

SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• maybe someone took him in for themselves. some people do that if they find a nice dog. i think that is cruel but at least he would be alive. i wouldn't suspect my dog was dead unless i saw it dead along the road or the collar was brought home to me. i always make sure my dogs have their collar although our one dog is missing it's tags but not the collar. i think that is strange.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'd hold out hope and keep looking. Did the dog catcher know what breed it was that got hit? Was it similar to yours? If he put the dog down he would have had to pick it up and haul it away--noticing if he had tags. If they had tags, then they have them someplace and should have called you. I'd STILL hold out hope because you haven't received any phone calls. Keep calling to see if anyone has brought him in.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• There was recently a very publicized case where a dog catcher put down an injured dog that had tags on before contacting the owner. Their department got sued. The dog catcher could be lying if he said that it wasn't the dog so he wouldn't get in the same kind of trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• To Anon 3:28:

All the "why's" in the world won't change the situation, so why don't you save that kind of judgement for yourself in case you ever have an accident. No one here wants to hear it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am so sorry. I feel your pain. Our beloved kitty "Fred" was hit by a car in front of our house on Saturday. We are devastated. He was an inside/outside kitty - and crossed the road because my daughter was across the road playing with friends. So it is his fault, HOWEVER, it doesn't make the hurt any less knowing that there are why's and how come's. A loss is a loss and even though you don't know for sure if he is gone, (I pray he comes back) I feel for you.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2009