Baby Laundry Detergent

My sister is due any minute now and she keeps asking me if she HAS to use baby laundry detergent and why. I told her that that's what my daughters doctor told me. Dyes and fragrances ec..and def not to use Era. It's been awhile and I want to give her the correct info. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never used it. I used Tide Free and skipped the dryer sheets. You can try gentle detergents or fragrance free ones. I honestly feel that baby detergents are a waste of money. If your child has a reaction to a fragrance free detergent then obviously it's best to use baby.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I did with both mine.. But i (ALL and CHEER) works great to .. they are dyes free and with my bubble kids i would know.. Dryle or whatever thats calld, does still have the smells and some dye in it.. They say its baby safe but i didnt do so safe with my two.. just get her anything that is completly dye and fragerant free..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I couldn't afford it. I just used fragrance and die free for the whole family instead. Maybe you could purchase some for her for a gift?
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I used Dreft and no softener for the first six months or so. My son didn't have any reactions to anything in his environment (we don't have a history of allergies in our family) and so I started to add our regular detergent to the Dreft a bit at a time until his clothes were all washed with our regular detergent with our clothes. He's two now and never had any problems.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I tried Dreft, but it wasd so expensive. I started using ALL Free & Clear. It was great.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I NEVER used Dreft, I used tide free. I found that dreft for being non fragrenced, had a strong perfume smell that gave me a headache. Let alone being expensive.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I never used it. I get dye and fragrance free detergent and just wash them with the rest of the family's clothes.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Any kind of free and clear detergent is better than Dreft. Dreft still contains fragrance.
    I used a free and clear detergent. I wish I had known about Charlie's Soap when DD was a new born! Charlie's is all natural and I discovered it when I started using cloth diapers.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The best soap I ever used for my kids is HOMEMADE DETERGENT. It is easy to make, cheap, natural, no fragrance, no dyes, very gentle, and gets the stains out of everything. Then using vinegar for fabric softener. It is so gentle, we cloth diaper and it is important to use a soap that won't irritate the bum, and take stains out.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 2:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I used the All baby detergent with my first, but found that even the light scent in that bothered him, so for the rest we've used ALL free and clear, Purex Free and clear, or now the Costco brand that's Free and Clear. It's easier to wash all the clothes together instead of waiting for enough baby clothes to fill the machine.
    JTLMOMMY

Answer by JTLMOMMY at 2:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009